Arcam CD73 arrived (initial impressions)
Aug 18, 2007 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
Today my setup is complete. No upgradeitis for me any more (you all know how that's going to turn out
biggrin.gif
).

My bargain arrived: a second hand, good condition Arcam CD73.

As you can read in my thread about the remote the supplied remote is broken but I'm using a different remote that works perfectly.

About the Arcam CD73:
Build quality is excellent. I have the black version. It feels very sturdy at about 5kg. The CD tray is still smooth and everything works as it should.
The great thing about this CDP is that it has 2 analog outputs instead of 1. This way I can connect it simultaneously to both my stereo set and my Corda Cantate. In addition to the analog outputs it has a coaxial and digital output, which I don't use.

The sound:
The minute I hooked it up I loved the sound. My setup is currently: Arcam CD73 -> Corda Cantate -> Sennheiser HD650.
The great thing is I can directly compare it to the laptop -> Cantate setup by flicking a switch on the Cantate. In essence, this is a battle between the Arcam DAC and the Cantate DAC (and of course between MP3 and CD).

Immediate impressions:
Right off the bat I hear the Arcam is warmer than the USB sound. The USB sounds drier, more analytical, less 'musical'.
More impressions later.

Conclusion:
This is my second step up in head-fidelity in about a week. First my Cantate as my first home amp, now the Arcam as my first stand-alone CDP. My wallet is cursing me now, but it was worth it. Let's listen some more!

(thumbnail, click for full size)

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 12
Nice rig you have there! I have set my Arcam to get three different sound signatures from it. These are:

- Coaxial out to Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 to Mapletree LR1 Switch-box
- RCA #1 to Mapletree LR1 Switch-box
- RCA #2 to a cross feed box to a Mapletree LR1 Switch-box

From the Switch-box I go to either a Mapletree Ear Purist HD100 or a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3. I mention this to illustrate that w/ all the output options you can have a good time playing to find whichever sound you like best. Good luck.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Well, the thing is that I only have two things possible of receiving a line from the Arcam: my stereo through RCA #1 and my Cantate through RCA #2. That's why I love that the Arcam has 2 RCA outs. I don't have anything that can take coaxial/optical. Anyway, all my power outlets are taken now anyway, so I can't add anything any more
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the thing is that I only have two things possible of receiving a line from the Arcam: my stereo through RCA #1 and my Cantate through RCA #2. That's why I love that the Arcam has 2 RCA outs. I don't have anything that can take coaxial/optical. Anyway, all my power outlets are taken now anyway, so I can't add anything any more
biggrin.gif

Then it is time to buy more stuff!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 12
Read the first line of the OP
evil_smiley.gif
600smile.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 12
It's the same. The T stands for Text, that it can read CD Text. The player itself says CD73 on the faceplate, but it can read CD Text. Like this image or here, it says CD73 but also says TEXT under the CD logo in the bottom left.

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 12
I used to own a Rotel 1072, and am wondering if the Arcam is a huge step up from the Rotel. Anyone get a chance to AB these?

Might be looking for a new redbook player in a few months...

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 12
I was concidering this unit as a source due to the good deals available on used ones. Curious what it compares to in the Rega World?

Since I just picked up the ALO V-dock I am going to have to start saving again but I wonder if it would truely be any improvment. Need to listen to some rigs at the week in Boston this week.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 12
THe cool thing about my Arcam Alpha 8 is the two RCA outputs, which I used to connect to different headamps with different interconnects. Very versatile.

Although I wonder whether having 2x analogues outputs introduces sound degradation compared to just one? I think if you were worried about that, you'd have a higher-end source.

Post more impressions if you can. A dedicated CDP is the only way to do Redbook-sourced music IMHO. Welcome to the club.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 12
I love that it has two RCA outputs. I was just about to start a new thread about this. I am looking for something that I can run to my speaker rig as well as my headphone amp. Is this a pretty rare feature in this price range?

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 12
Congrats - I'm looking forward to reading more impressions. I've had my eye on the Arcam CD36 for some time now, hopefully the CD73 will give you many hours of blissful music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back