Arcam..Anyone heard of them?
Mar 22, 2005 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

leapincoog

Head-Fier
my dad bought a cd player, fm tuner, and amplifier made by a company called arcam. He said that theyre british. He bought the stuff at bay bloor radio, a pretty renowned audio store in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and it cost him quite a bunch. (over $1000, prolly more like $2000..in that range). I just was wondering if anyone has heard of arcam stuff and if it's good quality and good value? Also, the amplifier has a headphone jack on it...I am getting my Alessandro Ms-1's any day now and I was wondering how good a job the source/amplifier combo would do driving headphones? What kind of stuff is it comparable to?

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 32
Used to own at one time or another an Arcam Delta 3 integrated amp and a Delta CD transport - Top kit that i only got rid of due to the infernal 'upgraditus'
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 32
Their website is here: http://www.arcam.co.uk/

I think their stuff looks pretty nice, though people who spend over 5 figures tend to look down on them, marantz, NAD, and rotel (though arcam is somewhat less mainstream). Anyone looking into putting together a sub-10,000$ system (myself included) would have to consider these brands as serious contenders.

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 32
Arcam is great. I love the sound, warm and punchy. Its a great value.

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 32
Some of the best hi-fi hardware (in terms of sound quality) over the last decade or so have come from Arcam, they are certainly top notch, unless of course you have >$100k to spend...

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Also, the amplifier has a headphone jack on it...I am getting my Alessandro Ms-1's any day now and I was wondering how good a job the source/amplifier combo would do driving headphones?

It should do a very good job. Most decent speaker amps have very good headphone outputs. being an Arcam it should be top notch
icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 32
I used to own an Arcam DiVA CD72. It was a very good player, very dynamic sounding with bass to die for. The remote was overdone which made it a pain to use, but the player was a good solid player in the sub $800 range (I paid roughly half that for mine). I absolutely love their chassis styling and panel component layout. Elegant simplicity.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 32
Arcam is a solid product. I chose the Rotel over the Arcam because I like a more detailed sound. The Arcam is warmer which some people like. Can't go wrong with them though.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 32
I've auditioned the the Arcam 9 and Arcam CD33 players - both had excellent sound, and IMO are well suited for headphone use. Through Conrad Johnson tube amps and B&W speakers the '9 was less transparent and punchier (great dynamics) than the '33, and the '33 had more holographic imaging, but was somewhat lacking in rhythm. It would be a hard decision to decide which I liked better.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I used to own an Arcam DiVA CD72. It was a very good player, very dynamic sounding with bass to die for. The remote was overdone which made it a pain to use, but the player was a good solid player in the sub $800 range (I paid roughly half that for mine). I absolutely love their chassis styling and panel component layout. Elegant simplicity.

I own one of these (though I am not using it at present) and it is a very nice player. But the person who designed the remote should be executed . . . . very slowly. Overall, I think Arcam products are quite good.

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 32
Arcam poweramps are very good for the money (owned a Alpha 8P) although the pre-amps could be better (noise & not balanced channels) not sure if new ones have improved in these matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back