Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
Mar 10, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 29
I'm a huge arcade fire fan and can't say nothing but praise for the cd. There really isn't a comparison to funeral. Sound is much different.

Just as good if not better as long as you don't expect it to be like funeral. Their sound is always evolving. Listen to some of there old demo's and ep's and you'll know what I mean.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I completely agree on the sound. I like what I heard of the "leaked" versions of black mirror and no cars go, better. Especially on black mirror the vocals are now too far down in the mix.

Also is it just me or does it seem like intervention was meant to be the lead off track and not Black Mirror?

Dont get me wrong, Black Mirror is a good song but it almost feels tacked on in the sense of "We need a lead off hit single"

I agree that Black Mirror wasn't the best lead off song. But I think "Intervention" is good placed where it is because of the way it follows "Neon Bible". I agree with ryhthmicmoose that "Keep the Car Running" should be placed first. The way the strings start the song would make the album feel like a concert as it reminds me of an orchestra warming up before a performance, like a cue for everyone to take their seats, get a last look at their program before the lights dim, sit and enjoy. This CD is large enough in sound and ambition that it would be very thematic.

As for comparisons to Funeral; I agree this isn't as good, but I wouldn't say its a step down at all. I think this is a different sound for the band but ultimately "Neon Bible" will be almost as good after adjusting. Frankly I am glad they didnt try and do what most bands would have done had they suddenly found themselves so well known which would have been creating a BIGGER AND BETTER "Funeral".

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #19 of 29
I've been listening to it for about a week on Yahoo! Music, and I really like it. I'm going to pick it up first chance I get.
smily_headphones1.gif

The second song (can't remember the name) reminds me of a cross between Echo and the Bunnymen and Billy Idol (think "Got to be Your Lover"). Very different from their first album, which I liked a lot, but got a bit too alternative-meets-progressive for me after several listens.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my favorite track is intervention
it has that rebellion (lies) feel that i really like about the arcade fire

funeral was a much better album, imo

i dont know if its a better album. It has a different feel then neon bible. but something interesting is that I never skip a track on funeral but I see myself skipping tracks on neon bible

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was a very different sound. I have never heard anything like it. I liked it though. First I listened to it on my lappy with crappy integrated sound, it sounded like crap, then I put it on my xtra, still wasn't that great. Then on my Audigy zs2, it sounded great aside from the little hiss. That had to be the recording because no other music gives me hiss.

Was this album mastered badly? I mean, I didn't notice clipping or anything, just the hiss. Why can't albums me mastered well?

this album was mastered way way way better then funeral with its super compressedness
frown.gif
. but I think the hiss is just normal tape hiss that you get with most other albums. Its personally fine for me!

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 29
Wow!
I'm blown away.
I got this yesterday together with the new Innocence Mission album and whilst IM being one of my favourite bands I have been listening to Neon Bible constantly instead.

It's very rare for me to find an album where I like every single track and even rarer to find albums that I can listen to from start to finish as albums and not playing individual tracks.

It's funny to compare this sophomore album to Bloc Party's second one.
Bloc Party went down the crapper whilst The Arcade Fire went soaring through the stratosphere.
280smile.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 29
Fantastic album! I don't want to compare it with Funeral because they are very different albums but they are both great albums from start to finish. With two great albums, Arcade Fire has moved a considerable amount on my list of favorite artists (I don't actually have a list).

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #26 of 29
I prefer Funeral's rocking tone but that's just my preference.

Neon Bible is a great, different album but it is too mellow for me I suppose.

I am a bit of a banger anyway so
basshead.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 29
I'm listening to Funeral on my 225s and yes this is why I got into head-fi. The pure enjoyment that I get from listening to my favorite band in high fidelity. I would have still enjoyed Funeral with crappy headphones but the 225s just makes everything better and more enjoyable

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #28 of 29
its pretty good but not as good as their previous album. it just feels like they're running the same treadmill over and over again... wait, arcade fire had a side project with different band name that was awesome- it was instremental, downtempo, popsy. i forget their name tho. can somebody help me out?

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempleOfEar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its pretty good but not as good as their previous album. it just feels like they're running the same treadmill over and over again... wait, arcade fire had a side project with different band name that was awesome- it was instremental, downtempo, popsy. i forget their name tho. can somebody help me out?

bell orchestre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back