Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
Mar 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
So far it's interesting. The mix is unique. Very dark and muddy unless you have a very detail oriented setup. They seem to have recorded it in a way I haven't really heard before. The vocals are rather muted or at least not easily heard on a normal stereo.

Nice atmosphere to it though.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 29
The mix definitely interesting. There has actually been ALOT of argument of the pre-release leaks and whether they were transcodes or poor bitrate mp3s, etc..

I really like it, not quite Funeral, buts its still a great great record.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mix definitely interesting. There has actually been ALOT of argument of the pre-release leaks and whether they were transcodes or poor bitrate mp3s, etc..

I really like it, not quite Funeral, buts its still a great great record.

yea neon bible was much better recorded then funeral. I had a REAL pre-release copy though my radio station and it sounded great! The organs on intervention are amazing.

I thought it was almost as good as funeral

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 29
yeah, i also love intervention for its organy goodness
tongue.gif

question: is it available on vinyl in the uk ??
(i could probably find this out myself but i'm lazy and someone might know the answer)

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any other opinions of the album? thinking of buying it, but oh so low on cash... *looks at headphones doubtfully*

So far I think it's excellent, very worthy of the 10 bucks or so. Funeral is still by far and away my favorite AF album, but I haven't given Neon Bible that much time yet. By the way, this is one of those album that truly gets better with every listen.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 29
While i dont think AF can ever record an album to top the gem that Funeral is, Neon bible is a worthy follow up. My fave track being Intervention, with it's organs and swelling strings. just fantastic. GOOO BUUUYYY ITTT NOWWW.

P.S the early leaks sound NOTHING like the original release at all. The original is much much better SQ wise.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 29
Just a warning. If you see the "special limited edition," don't get it. I bought it thinking there'd be a poster or a DVD or something exciting in there, but instead there's just... flipbooks. I'm not kidding. Sure, I love the Arcade Fire, but I don't really love them enough to have spent an extra $5 for two flipbooks.

The album itself, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic. Black Mirror, Keep The Car Running, the rerecorded No Cars Go, and (Antichrist Television Blues) are all great, and I swear I nearly cried when I heard the organ swell 3:00 into Intervention for the first time.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S the early leaks sound NOTHING like the original release at all. The original is much much better SQ wise.

Not sure I completely agree on the sound. I like what I heard of the "leaked" versions of black mirror and no cars go, better. Especially on black mirror the vocals are now too far down in the mix.

Also is it just me or does it seem like intervention was meant to be the lead off track and not Black Mirror?

Dont get me wrong, Black Mirror is a good song but it almost feels tacked on in the sense of "We need a lead off hit single"

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a warning. If you see the "special limited edition," don't get it. I bought it thinking there'd be a poster or a DVD or something exciting in there, but instead there's just... flipbooks. I'm not kidding. Sure, I love the Arcade Fire, but I don't really love them enough to have spent an extra $5 for two flipbooks.

Yeah, it's not much, but you got a pretty cool poster if you preordered it!

Neon Bible is an amazing album. Is it another Funeral? No, because they are VERY different. Is Funeral better? I think a little bit, but I'm not completely sure... need to give Neon Bible more time still. I've only listened to it 4 times since yesterday (on my 5th now)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also is it just me or does it seem like intervention was meant to be the lead off track and not Black Mirror?

Dont get me wrong, Black Mirror is a good song but it almost feels tacked on in the sense of "We need a lead off hit single"

If anything, I think Keep The Car Running would make the best track 1, and maybe Intervention and No Cars Go could be shuffled around, putting Intervention closer to the end where it could be more of a climax song.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 29
You know, after several dozen listens on repeat, I'm convinced Neon Bible is a better album than Funeral. I think they've really expanded their sound without sacrificing that tense, apocalyptic undertow. Funeral is definitely more immediately accessible, but Neon Bible shows a more diverse and mature range.

In any case, they have to be one of the best bands currently around...

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 29
This was a very different sound. I have never heard anything like it. I liked it though. First I listened to it on my lappy with crappy integrated sound, it sounded like crap, then I put it on my xtra, still wasn't that great. Then on my Audigy zs2, it sounded great aside from the little hiss. That had to be the recording because no other music gives me hiss.

Was this album mastered badly? I mean, I didn't notice clipping or anything, just the hiss. Why can't albums me mastered well?

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dehory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they've really expanded their sound without sacrificing that tense, apocalyptic undertow.

I agree, there seems to be a little more of a range or variety in the songs on this album and it kind of adds some warmth and pleasantness to their sound. After the second listen I liked this one a little bit more than Funeral. Funeral is a very good album but it hasn't been as good as it was for me lately.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #15 of 29
Its a very interesting album. great in the way it flows each song is good not just a single. Its very complex and does take a decent setup to fully extract its true value. I like the darker flow of this album more than funeral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back