Arachnids in Iraq
Apr 16, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Hey Onix, actually my wife said she saw where black widow spiders killed a cat.
eek.gif
There were thousands of black widows under a house she lived in. The exterminator came to spray them, and got freaked by the dead cat covered with spider webs and spiders.

We don't have large spiders around here.

The biggest spider I have ever seen in the wild was a tarantula on the road from Death Valley out by Scotty's Castle. That was cool.

Ouch! Cats like spiders a lot, even the really bad ones
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Poor cat.

Tarantulas are cool and really delicate to the touch. They feel like baby chicks. If you are not very afraid of them and have the chance to get one in your hands, try it. But don't do it with a Black Widow ever, they are not the nicest spiders.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 50
And of course there are the brown recluses too. Those things have a nasty bite, and they live just about everywhere indoors, in the midwest at least.

It's a good thing they only bite when you accidently find their hiding spot. A docile spider with that kind of venom is a good thing.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 50
Photography can play funny tricks with perspective, I think those spiders appear far larger in that pic than they actually are. They're still big but not as big as I thought on my first look.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Rizumu said...

I....hate...spiders...

Seconded, gah!!!
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 50
I really don't care how big or little they are. I don't care if they are not man eaters. I don't care if they feed off of sand. They are spiders, and they should be dead. End of story.

[size=xx-small]I HATE spiders.[/size]

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
scared02.gif

I....hate...spiders...

fighting19.gif

Ditto. I get them in my room once in a while. I had to turn on all the lights in my room and start swatting like crazy.

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 50
I actualy like spiders, if I find one, I let them be. This all because I do hate flies and the like, and because spiders kill flies and such; they're my buddies.
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 50
Actually, those "spiders" are really scorpions without tails (a.k.a. False Spiders, Sun Scorpions and Wind Scorpions)

They have eight legs, the front pair are not legs, but in fact pedipalps (overgrown antennae). Which are similar to scorpion's claws.

Pretty nasty little critters, eh?

http://kaweahoaks.com/html/wind_scorpian.htm

solifugid_biting.jpg

They are also pretty small. That Iraq picture is a close up, notice the hand and sleeve in the upper righthand corner.

-Ed

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Ivion
I actualy like spiders, if I find one, I let them be. This all because I do hate flies and the like, and because spiders kill flies and such; they're my buddies.
tongue.gif

Yes, I leave house spiders alone.

But brown recluse, hobo, and yellow sac spiders beware!

My fiance is deathly afraid of all arachnids. Especially spiders and scorpions. She used to live in Scottsdale, AZ so she still has a habit of shaking the bed down each night.

-Ed

Apr 16, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #26 of 50
Here where I live we have black widow spiders but not many. The town I stay at a lot is dryer and warmer so it has more of them, plus brown recluse.
A friend of mine got bitten by a brown recluse. He developed a hole in his arm from the bite that he says you could stick a golf ball in. Very nasty.

I brought home a black widow that had nested in my car, I didn't realize it was there until I got the car home and was working on it. I caught it and we put it in a large jar. My wife named it Hillary after the president's wife. She lived quite a while on flies that we caught and fed to her.

I kind of like cat spiders. They are so cool looking, and they grow big enough to enjoy looking at them.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 50
I'll be that those camel spider hides would make excellent material for covering headphone pads and headbands!

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #30 of 50
bringing up an old thread but you all buggers are lucky .
I just found a nest of redback spiders in my shed and those buggers are a lot more poisonous than your average Black widow spider.

If you hate arachnids then don't move to Sydney please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back