AR-T Legato II USB-S/PDIF Converter
Sep 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 90
I only tried GT2 on my Legato vs a couple PC USB cables.  The GT2 does improve the sound.  I've not tried other USB cables.  I've heard good reports on WireWorld and AudioQuest USB cables.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 90
Hi there,

I am also a legato 2 user, one of those who have a prototype unit as well, and have been living with it for several weeks now.

Without getting too crazy in description, inserting the legato 2 really shows what a better clock can do. Timing, especially on the tail end of the notes for a more complete sound, placement of instruments are firmer, and critically - proportion (size) of each instrument relative to another is clearer defined to a level I've seldom heard in systems.

I've not compared it to the berkeley or offramp5 usb/spdif converters, but against others like wavelink and felt the legato superior. Using the legato is also more superior to my chord qbd76hd's async usb input - to my ears.

Removing the charging cable during playback does make a difference, and upgrading the BNC and USB cable is a must. There are other small tweaks but shall leave it out of this post. :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 90
Hi there,

I am also a legato 2 user, one of those who have a prototype unit as well, and have been living with it for several weeks now.

Without getting too crazy in description, inserting the legato 2 really shows what a better clock can do. Timing, especially on the tail end of the notes for a more complete sound, placement of instruments are firmer, and critically - proportion (size) of each instrument relative to another is clearer defined to a level I've seldom heard in systems.

This might be sensitive, but I compared it to a wavelink and some other usb/spdif converters and felt the legato superior. I did not compare to berkeley or offramp5.

Using the legato is also more superior to my chord qbd76hd's async usb input - to my ears.

What are you using as a frame of reference for comparison?

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 90
Quote:
What are you using as a frame of reference for comparison?

Can you elaborate on your question? Are you asking for my gear list?

Admittedly I have more experience with usb/firewire dacs than usb/spdif converters. I had always thought usb/firewire dacs were the way to go and hence was looking this way, until I found something like the legato.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 90
I don't want to derail this thread, but in case it might be helpful, the Audiophilleo and PurePower battery module work flawlessly with the SBT + EDO. The battery charging kicks in about 30 minutes after the SBT stops playing music, so I assume a timer used. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #22 of 90
Quote:
I have the privilege of being the first customer to receive AR-T's Legato II USB-S/PDIF converter.

...So how does it sound?  Well, it sounds very analog indeed.  So much so that I thought I was listening to vinyl with a nice turntable setup.  Everything flows with ease and yet it can be wild and dynamic if needs be.
I also happen to own the very last revision of  the Legato (internally, this was labeled as rev 2).  The Legato II has smoother treble (the last bit of digital glare is gone), a darker background revealing more details, longer decay/reverbs, more holographic sound stage, more dynamic sound and deeper bass.   The tone density is also higher, with a more engulfing sound stage.  The most striking difference to me is how much more ease in the presentation, and how much more analog it sounds.
Some of the sonic references that I am familiar with include: the Sony CDP-R10/DAS-R10 CD transport/DAC, Anedio U2 USB-S/PDIF converter, Anedio D2 DAC, Berkeley Alpha USB-S/PDIF converter, Alpha DAC series 2, Weiss DAC202, and MSB DAC IV Signature.  Many of them are superb top-of-the-class devices, but none gives the same vinyl-like presentation as the Legato II does.

Hi,
Is a significant difference as compared to Legato I ? Already I know that the first version didn't sound bad at all.
Thanks,

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 90
How long does it take to receive a legato? Is it typical to take months to build? I am thinking about ordering one.

I've waited for months, but would expect the wait time to shorten as production ramps up.
Pat is a good about replying to emails, so give him a shout if you're interested.

The LegatoII arrived... very impressive so far: relaxed presentation, lots of detail, open & deep soundstage... I find myself turning up the volume, and listening for longer periods.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #26 of 90
Quote:

I think the wait time is likely to be over one month.  Currently, 5 of my friends have pre-orders with Pat, so he is busy trying to fill the orders.  I don't know how many more folks are in the waiting list.  I think Pat mentioned to me that the initial batch will be a run for 25 units.

SBT+EDO recognize it as a Class 1 device, but it is strange that I never have to use a USB hub for it to work even for Legato v1.

Currently, there is an outstanding issue with SBT+EDO.  SBT does not turn off its USB output even when you put it to sleep.  The Legato II thinks the Link is still active and thus does not go into charge mode unless you unplug the USB cable.  Pat was made aware of the issue and I suggest using a timer such that when it detects no music is streaming for say 15 mins, it'll go into charge mode.  This is done by monitoring the Stream Active pin in addition to the Link Active pin on the USB controller (ie: these signal pins are provided by Gordon Rankin's Streamlength code).

I contacted the EDO developer, and he told me the issue has to do with the SBT firmware (ie: does not turn off the USB port or terminates the link on sleep).  Since we're at the end of the road for SBT, we cannot expect the firmware to be enhanced at this point.  Pat is going to try my suggestion.  Nothing was promised to me, but I've faith that it'll eventually be addressed on the production models.

So you can use the Legato II with SBT+EDO, you just have to unplug the USB cable after listening to recharge the batteries, is that correct?

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #27 of 90
hello Viper2001.
I have SBT+EDO and i am very iterested on legato2 .
Using the Legato2 is a big upgrade to the SBT spdif output?
I use a diy dac (dac-end), Audio Note type with good results
but the SBT spdif seems limited in quality.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #28 of 90
So you can use the Legato II with SBT+EDO, you just have to unplug the USB cable after listening to recharge the batteries, is that correct?

Yes, the SBT seems active at all times,,, so Pat at ART has designed a work-around, by snooping the data lines and timing out - allowing the Legato II to enter the battery-charging state (without having to unplug the USB cable).

My Legato is in the shop right now getting the modification (it's a tiny circuit that hardly draws any power, and should be completely unintrusive).

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #29 of 90
Thanks LeoDuran, I will be receiving my Legato II either tomorrow or Friday. I hope it has that mod you mentioned, if not, I may have to send mine back, of course after I check it out for awhile
wink_face.gif
. Have you used the Legato II with J River or foobar 2000? How does that sound, if you have? I will be using it with SBT + EDO. BTW, Pat is a really nice guy and no it does not take a long time to receive the Legato II, well that was my experience, YMMV.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #30 of 90
Thanks LeoDuran, I will be receiving my Legato II either tomorrow or Friday. I hope it has that mod you mentioned, if not, I may have to send mine back, of course after I check it out for awhile :wink_face: . Have you used the Legato II with J River or foobar 2000? How does that sound, if you have? I will be using it with SBT + EDO. BTW, Pat is a really nice guy and no it does not take a long time to receive the Legato II, well that was my experience, YMMV.

I have only used SBT+EDO as a source... I was on the 'wait list' prior to the first production run, so it does make sense that turn-around time is now shorter.... Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back