Aqua Acoustic La Scala MkII Optologic
Jul 12, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 84
@biosailor
@nepherte

Okay guys, I don't know the policy for pasting links here to other forums, so I'll just mention this topic name: "Life after Yggdrasil".

This topic is on head-fi as well, but the DAC chart table there is broken and I don't know whether everything is up to date.
Anyway, google this and you'll find it on super best audio friends as well.

There you will find 3 things:

1. Basically, it agrees with @nepherte that one of relatively cheap DACs, namely Yggdrasil, is pretty much as good as any top DAC you'll find.
2. Dave is by far one of the best out there, but not by much compared to the much cheaper Yggdrasil.
3. Linn Klimax DS/3 is the best (that the reviewer has tried at least).

So yeah, take from that what you will. :D

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #17 of 84
A TotalDAC Six is out of reach for me. I set a sonic (financial) barrier that is in the range of the Aqua La Scala Optologic. The upper scale of the ToalDACs are really, really expensive and I refuse to pay this much, regardless of how good they might be.

But wouldn't the La Scala have been an option for you as it also contains a tube buffer that can be specifically tuned to one's needs? Darko has a nice review on tube rolling for the La Scala, as previously mentioned in this thread (http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/06/next-level-aqua-hifi-formula-la-scala-mkii-w-telefunken/).

But everyone has to find his/her optimal solution and I guess many rely on previously established routes as one knows what to expect.

I was also on the trigger for a TotalDAC Six, but went for old school Audio Note DAC 5 instead. My reasons were, I suspected the PS and line stage in the TotalDAC was basic, I wanted tubed output, and I know the Audio Note line /sound already.
Having a tube line stage is a must for me, and has proved to work wonders in 'tuning' my system to get it just how I want it.

The DAC R-2R sector has exploded with sub 4K discrete DACs from the far east. I haven't heard any yet so can't say how good they are. But regardless, it is good to have more NOS in the market for the buyer.

I dig the one box solution, but that won't work for me as I need an electrostatic amp, and a pre-amp function to drive my speakers. But in a conventional only HP system it would be great for sure. Lets parts, less complexity.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 84
After reading your post, I did look into the TotalDAC webpage. Again, I set myself a personal limit what to spend for a new DAC and most of the TotalDACs are out of that range. The d1-core looks interesting and it would even be less than the La Scala. It also has some add-ons to tailor the DAC around one's needs, like a Room option, an extra power supply, etc. Although I am not sure whether all that extra gear really helps in improving the DAC's performance. But definitely, TotalDAC is something to look into, thanks for the suggestion!

To give you a point of reference so you can get a better idea of my sonic preferences. Before I went all in with Stax gear, my favorite headphone was the HD800 with a HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 (and the TotalDAC).

What you should know about these expensive DACs is that they are all overpriced. Yes, all of them. You're better of with a DAC at a lower price point, somewhere around ~1000$ if you're a) not looking for that last bit of extra sound quality (whatever that means) or b) you don't want to shill out. Buf if nor a) nor b) applies to you, then get one where the engineering is solid. I count both the DAVE and TotalDAC in that category. I did not have a chance to look at the internals of the Aqua Formula so no comments there. What I like about the TotalDAC is Vincent gives you an upgrade path instead of buying a completely new one. Obviously I'm biased because I have one. So .... YMMV.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #19 of 84
So , I have basically two choices: either the modestly priced, but brilliant Yggdrasil, or the super expensive and just as brilliant Dave DAC :))

A streamer is out for me as I already own one, so this option is not viable for me.

The Yggdrasil is Head-Fi's legendary DAC. I have never heard it before, but I am aware of the rave reviews. I used to be quite into Schiit gear, but I thought that their line of amplifiers was mediocre at best (maybe not the Ragnarok that I have not tried). I know that amps and DACs are different pair of shoes, but my experience with Schiit was so great. So I try to stay away from them. I know that most Head-Fiers don't agree with me. So maybe I have to give the Yggdrasil a try.

Since I am truly satisfied with the Aqua La Voce S2, I try to stick to their DACs, even though TotalDAC might be another option. The nice thing about these European DACs is the service. It's really easy to get them back to the vendor in case of problems, which is doable with American/Chinese DACs, but shipping fees are quite hefty.

So again, if anyone has first hand experience with Aqua's La Scala, please post them. It looks as ig this DAC is a bit of a dark horse.

@biosailor
@nepherte

Okay guys, I don't know the policy for pasting links here to other forums, so I'll just mention this topic name: "Life after Yggdrasil".

This topic is on head-fi as well, but the DAC chart table there is broken and I don't know whether everything is up to date.
Anyway, google this and you'll find it on super best audio friends as well.

There you will find 3 things:

1. Basically, it agrees with @nepherte that one of relatively cheap DACs, namely Yggdrasil, is pretty much as good as any top DAC you'll find.
2. Dave is by far one of the best out there, but not by much compared to the much cheaper Yggdrasil.
3. Linn Klimax DS/3 is the best (that the reviewer has tried at least).

So yeah, take from that what you will. :D

May 11, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 84
So , I have basically two choices: either the modestly priced, but brilliant Yggdrasil, or the super expensive and just as brilliant Dave DAC :))

A streamer is out for me as I already own one, so this option is not viable for me.

The Yggdrasil is Head-Fi's legendary DAC. I have never heard it before, but I am aware of the rave reviews. I used to be quite into Schiit gear, but I thought that their line of amplifiers was mediocre at best (maybe not the Ragnarok that I have not tried). I know that amps and DACs are different pair of shoes, but my experience with Schiit was so great. So I try to stay away from them. I know that most Head-Fiers don't agree with me. So maybe I have to give the Yggdrasil a try.

Since I am truly satisfied with the Aqua La Voce S2, I try to stick to their DACs, even though TotalDAC might be another option. The nice thing about these European DACs is the service. It's really easy to get them back to the vendor in case of problems, which is doable with American/Chinese DACs, but shipping fees are quite hefty.

So again, if anyone has first hand experience with Aqua's La Scala, please post them. It looks as ig this DAC is a bit of a dark horse.
Resurecting an old thread but since I now own a La Scala I just wanted to say how much I like it specially for it's tube rolling ability!

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #21 of 84
Resurecting an old thread but since I now own a La Scala I just wanted to say how much I like it specially for it's tube rolling ability!
A thread bought back to life after a five year doldrum :smile:

Auditioning the La Scale right now and really enjoying it. Your thoughts on tubes would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #22 of 84
A thread bought back to life after a five year doldrum :smile:

Auditioning the La Scale right now and really enjoying it. Your thoughts on tubes would be greatly appreciated.
😅
I have now in my La Scala a pair of 1970 Telefunken ECC801s and the difference with the original tubes supplied with the new unit is simply amazing.

I have also bought a pair of 50th year (195?) Tele ecc801s, a pair of 1963 Siemens Ecc801s (E81CC) and a pair of 1959 Mullard ECC81, but haven't try them yet.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #24 of 84
😅
I have now in my La Scala a pair of 1970 Telefunken ECC801s and the difference with the original tubes supplied with the new unit is simply amazing.

I have also bought a pair of 50th year (195?) Tele ecc801s, a pair of 1963 Siemens Ecc801s (E81CC) and a pair of 1959 Mullard ECC81, but haven't try them yet.
How would you describe the difference with the Telefunken vs stock?

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #26 of 84
Huge 3D soundstage, very detailed, smooth heights (no aggressivity when listening to trumpets), breathtaking voices, and maybe a little bit less bass.
Nice 👌

If I decide to keep the La Scala I’ll definitely try different tube(s). The midrange is excellent but would love to hear some of the improvements you describe.

Jun 17, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 84
Just some random notes while auditioning:
  • Do I actually prefer this over the Formula xHD?! The La Scala is slightly easier to listen to.
  • Similarities to the MSB Reference. Maybe not on the same level but much closer than differences in price would suggest. Wow!
  • Adding galvanic isolation betwen the La Scala and my computer doesn’t seem to do anything. Never happened before which means that Aqua has done some seriously impressive work on isolation.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 84
Just some random notes while auditioning:
  • Do I actually prefer this over the Formula xHD?! The La Scala is slightly easier to listen to.
  • Similarities to the MSB Reference. Maybe not on the same level but much closer than differences in price would suggest. Wow!
  • Adding galvanic isolation betwen the La Scala and my computer doesn’t seem to do anything. Never happened before which means that Aqua has done some seriously impressive work on isolation.
Interesting!
About the galvanic isolation I'm using an Intona 7055-C and it makes a huge difference!
(Between Rpi4 and dac)

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 84
Interesting!
About the galvanic isolation I'm using an Intona 7055-C and it makes a huge difference!
(Between Rpi4 and dac)
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it a go one more time.

Edit: I want to avoid having to use a reclocker adding cost and complexity. So galvanic isolation is all I’m willing to use.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #30 of 84
Interesting!
(Between Rpi4 and dac)
The verdict is in and the isolator is OUT.

The wonderful sense of timing and midrange magic is just not there. Keith would have gone if he had heard Nils Lofgren’s “Keith Don’t Go” played thru my system with the galvanic isolator in place 😉

Caveat, the isolator I’m using is the Topping HS02. Maybe the results would be different with the Intona (which seems great!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back