APureSound: The Ultimate Cable Manufacturer Introduces The V3 Headphone Cable
Sep 5, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #556 of 846
HA, when I asked Heli how long the time would be, she stated that from the time payment was received it should be about four weeks, but I'm not having any 'phone work done, just a cable made...so...yeah, sounds like about a month, unless you were in the queue once you paid.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #557 of 846
After 5 long weeks of waiting for a 4PIN XLR cable from Alex it's finally here! Workmanship on this cable is excellent, it's burning in right now as I type
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #563 of 846
Hi Alex, just curious to know from your perspective the difference in SQ with the Sennheiser Mod on your website vs stock headphone. Also are you able to tell me the difference between the small back foam vs the detachable front foams and there functions. Is is worth doing both foams, and is the small back foam mod reversible? Any help would be great!
smile.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #564 of 846
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Alex, just curious to know from your perspective the difference in SQ with the Sennheiser Mod on your website vs stock headphone. Also are you able to tell me the difference between the small back foam vs the detachable front foams and there functions. Is is worth doing both foams, and is the small back foam mod reversible? Any help would be great!
smile.gif

I did the mod.. Alex had a mod thread for it, but people crapped all over it. The sky is falling BS.. All of a sudden modding headphones is a bad thing.. Good mod. brighter, less veil, tighter bass, wider soundstage & better detail.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #565 of 846
Gah! Driving me nuts waiting on my Senn cable, lol...I guess a week or so to go...*sigh*...

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #566 of 846
My wait started yesterday as my balanced AKG 701 with a RAL cable and Xhadow XLR connectors had to be sent to Alex to be checked out since the right channel died. The strange thing was Alex mentioned he repaired another pair of 701s with the RAL cable with the same dead right channel. Spooky!!

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #567 of 846
WooHoo! 4 weeks after I paid it shipped back to me, just in time for the review I am doing on a Grahm Slee NOVO discrete SS amp that just arrived for 10 days. The phones arrive Monday and I'll have all week with them together before I ship out the amp to the next reviewer.

All I was having done was to get my D2000 and HD600 re-terminated in 4-pin XLR balanced, with a single ended adapter and a 4 foot dual 3-pin XLR cable adapter. But then I thought about it and it was as much work as re-cabling 2 or 3 complete headphones.

Thanks Alex!

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #568 of 846
*rubs hand eagerly*...sweet, I should get mine really soon! Can't wait. HA, your rig makes me cry...

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #569 of 846
Now that summer has ended, which was the original target date, I was wondering how things are going with the UE 11 cables.

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #570 of 846
I've used HD650s with six different cable arrangements, as follows, Cardas pins on everything but the stock cable.

•..The stock ¼" TRS.

•Trim all-silver cable with both RCA terminal and minimally resistance-augmented speaker amp (bare wire) connections.

•Less trim copper cable with RCA connections.

•1-meter 10-gauge copper-silver interspersal cable with RCA connections.

‼1.5-meter APureSound V3 Balanced cable custom ordered with same RCA plugs as previously mentioned cable

Now I didn't put a great deal of care in the durability of the four intermediary cables, not devoting proper tools or much time to them and using them for test purposes, but the signal paths at the time of testing were whole and wouldn't have altered much with greater anchoring.

I own both the HD595 and HD650 Senns, (a couple of the most commonly discussed headphones here, so I doubt my observations will be revelatory, so... perhaps this will be of use to those who like to read lots and lots of the same general views about the same headphones, whether to acquire them or.. um. ..think about them?)
..So's, anyway..
Even with the stock cable it was always evident how much potential the latter have, and yet.. before receiving Alex's cable I usually preferred listening to the 595s, as the 650s, even though they possessed quite a bit more detail and finesse, they just sounded.. .very.. .uncalibrated.. with the stock cable.
The soundstage very thrown off, a sort of non-commital and amorphous sound with frequencies cancelling each other out half the time, hinting and kind of teasing with a rich fidelity between this 'Sennheiser veil' thing, which I believe is a poor-cable-related phenomenon..

Now I'm far from knowledgeable gear-wise, I'm a kid with a ratty little rig that primarily involves (guess, c'mon guess) RCA/phono jacks, common in many DACs and headphone amps a bit more downscale than exclusive XLR hookups and the like.
Every one of these cables was a clear improvement from the TRS, except ..of course. ..in some of them more than others the signal would flicker with excessive movement. (which, in retrospect, probably could have been fixed, had I stopped messing with a glue gun and invested in a soldering iron)

The APS cable, aside from ..just. .being built well/strong.. it's leaps and bounds ahead sound-wise.
Even with the stiff, bulky, extremely inconvenient 1-meter cable I'd been using for reasons that can only seem plausible from an audiophile perspective, which was the previous best of the lot, the APS cable won out due to its sheer quality and craftsmanship. (and I tested this thing side-by-side, ear-by-ear, simultaneous with the APS cable)
The detail, or, rather.. the information was there in the previous cable.. but it wasn't there in perspective. It was flat, and hard, and the timbre and soundstage suffered. There were details the stock cable wouldn't convey, but the sound became.. I wouldn't say 'bright' but.. just overmodulated and subsidized, subtracting from the overall sonic imprint.

The APS cable is extremely, extremely neutral. You'll get all the details, and the details about the details.
It's like hearing the sound untangled.
The overall responsiveness accelerates beyond a lot of non-Sennheiser headphones, that. judging only with the stock cable, were 'quicker' if not as rich.
Properly cabled, everything flows naturally in liquid clarity.

I don't know what else is out there, but I'm sure this cable is tough to match, and I believe it will complete the sound signature of, not just the difficult package of the Sennheisers, but any high end headphone.

I'm very pleased with the V3 cable.
And the APS team is very up-front and friendly, quick on the uptake, and good at thoughtfully answering a host of very weird questions.

(I also received my cable fairly quickly and paid $10 less than the standard termination price due to the nature of my custom order)

</endorsement-speak>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back