AptX in-ears: V-Moda Forza Metallo Wireless or Sennheiser Momentum/HD1 in-ear Wireless
Sep 14, 2017 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TrancerSte

Head-Fier
My V-Moda ZNs are falling apart, and as it looks like whatever my next phone is it will ditch the 3.5mm jack it's time to get some decent Bluetooth in-ears. I've narrowed it down to these two.

- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-hd-1-in-ear-wireless.22376/
- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/v-moda-forza-metallo-wireless.22408/

I'm very fond of my ZNs; the sound signature is exactly to my taste and they are comfortable with great isolation.

I also have some Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless over-ears, which I was never impressed with wirelessly as my Nexus 6P was using SBC. However I do really like the sound of these when connected to a PC via a USB cable (or to my phone via a USB-C to micro-B cable, but this is not very practical) and used as a DAC / external sound card. I've just switched my phone to Lineage OS and flashed a mod to enable aptX and I'm completely sold -- the Momentums now sound fantastic via Bluetooth too.

So a couple of questions:
- If anyone has experience with both of these IEMs, what do you consider the relative pros and cons of each (sound, comfort, wireless performance, general design and build quality)?
- The Forza Metallo wired that the FMW are based on are a significantly cheaper IEM than the ZNs. Can anyone comment on how the sound of the FMW compares to the ZNs?
- Do the HD1s have a similar tuning and sound profile to the Momentum over-ears? Is there a typical "Sennheiser sound" or are they very different?

Music-wise I listen to trance, techno and other electronica. I also listen to a lot of spoken word podcasts. A couple of reviews suggest the FMWs don't go very loud, which might make them less suitable for this.

Other things:
- I have a Sony NWZ-WS615 for running and cycling so the sweat resistance and workout-focus of the FMWs doesn't matter to me.
- Good hands-free call quality is nice but not a massive selling point, as long as they work reliably.
- I don't expect to get a decent fit or seal with any of the included silicon tips (I think I have weird ears) so whichever I choose I will probably get Comply foams.

Price-wise there's virtually no difference. I live in Singapore and local prices are pretty crazy, but Amazon will ship the HD1s here and the US$183 price translates to ~SG$250. The V-Modas don't ship internationally but I can buy them from Amazon UK for £140 - also ~SG$250 - and pick them up when I go home next month.

Thanks!

tl;dr I own both Sennheiser and V-Moda cans and am very happy with both. Need some advice to choose between their respective aptX in-ear offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back