AptX HD DAPs and mobile phones with dedicated DAC
Nov 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chortya

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I will receive my Beyerdynamic Aventho Wireless headphones tomorrow and look for best source to drive them. I currently use Note 8 with Exynos CPU which seems to support only AptX. I expect it to support AptX HD after Android 8 upgrade. As a temporary solution I would like to buy used DAP or second mobile phone to listen to the music. Wired connection is also in scope so built-in DAC should be good too.
Right now my shortlist includes : Ak70 (does the single DAC version actually have AptX HD?); LG v20; LG G6 asian model. Are there any other sources under 400 Euro that could cover my requirements?

Another option would be to go with LG V30 as a single device but actually I like my Note8 and all the accessories I can get for it or have already. The resale value of LG phone will probably also be very low in 6 months.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 4
AK70 and AK70II both support aptX HD as per:

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483

It won't be comprehensive due to Android Oreo, but it's a great resource for products that are confirmed to have aptX HD. I actually own a couple of the devices listed there because they were listed there. I have confirmed both products (the AK XB10 and the Inateck BR1006) using aptX HD on my Pixel 2 XL.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 4
Glad to know that AptX HD will be supported on Oreo.

Keep in mind that aptX HD support will also be dependent on the device manufacturer and whether they want to include that as well. Interestingly, Sony shared their LDAC codec with Google for Oreo development, and that, too, is supported. (Again, verified on my Pixel). Whether Samsung allows either codec with Oreo is beyond me. They also need to have to correct qualcomm hardware installed and unless I'm mistaken, aptX HD support was part of the Snapdragon 835 SoC, but Samsung uses a modified version they call Enkyos, and I do not know if that's included on the chip. If I had to guess, I would say that it is included.

Good luck! And I hope your Note 8 gets aptX HD and LDAC with Oreo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back