Approve my new 'Fun' PC
Aug 13, 2003 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
In line with reducing the number of PC's and servers I have, I plan to stick with one PC for all non-work stuff. I see a lot of PC experts here... I know my stuff generally, but I'd appreciate any comments the more hardcore of you guys may have regarding my planned set-up.

Mobo: MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
CPU: P4 2.6 800FSB
Memory: 512MB 400Mhz NP CAS2 x 2
Case: Cooler Master ATC-220-VX1
Display adaptor: MSI GF4 4200Ti (re-used from old desktop)
PSU: Enermax EG365AX-VE FMA
FDD: Yes
HDD: 40Gb ATA100 + 120Gb ATA100 (re-used from my old desktop)
DVD-ROM: Liteon
CD-RW: Liteon
Sound card: Audigy 2 Platinum EX

Did I miss anything? Extra cooling? It won't be overclocked.

Aug 13, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 21
If it's generally for futzing, it looks good. Computers get more and more powerful all the time and it's at the point where it's overpowered unless you're doing a hardcore app like 3D rendering, photoshop, or playing games.

I myself downgraded for a quieter PC and run dual PIII now.

Aug 13, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 21
looks good.
If you want to play the next gen games you will need a dx9 video card though.

Something like an ATI 9600 or nvidia FX5600 would be very nice without breaking the bank.

If you want you could also get a 2nd 40 gig and raid 0 it with the one you have for the OS
and put your data files on the 120 gig. (for safety)

That should give you a nice performance boost too.

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 21
Looks quite good. The Asus mobos look quite juicy though. For general futzing, this looks like a nice pc. The sound card should be fine for you, although if you're not gaming, I say go with the revo.

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 21
Slap a ti4600 in there, goddammit!!!! Are you going to game or what???

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Slap a ti4600 in there, goddammit!!!! Are you going to game or what???

Not that much improvement over the 4200 he has there now.
Besides it doesn't do dx9.
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 21
yeah the gf4 series is not really that good, compared to ati cards. what 40 gig are you getting? i have a 40gig(ata133) maxtor, its pretty damn sweet, other than it runs a little hot. as long as there is a fan running onto the drive it should be good for a long time. i have a ibm 60gxp, one of the old bomb hard drives that were only warrentied for something like 400 hours a year for 3 years. they had many problems. but i have had mine for 2 years with 2 fans running on it with no problems.

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 21
chase: actually, the ibm 75gxp deskstar earned the name "deathstar" because of its spectacular failures. The 60GXP weren't as bad.

Guys bashing the sound card: the audigy 2 isn't nearly as terrible as the sb live - audigy 1. It's quite decent!

The vid card will be fine if he's not playing the latest and greatest games (and it'd be fine if he didn't crank the eye-candy up on those as well).

Might want to look into the Abit mobos. IC7 mobos. Overclocking is fun!
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 21
Few Things:
I'm not considering a new display adaptor.
I game sometimes, but even then I'm an old man for pete's sake. My reflexes aren't what they used to be. I'm the one in Counterstrike saying 'eh what? wherv me teef?' when he gets shot in the back
rolleyes.gif

I've heard a lot of negatives said about the Revolutions for gaming but since I'm not a hot gamer I can live with it. What I like about the Audigy EX is the profusion of connectors. The new soundcard will go through a DAC (Cambridge S700) anyway if it's not up to the S700's level so I'm ultimately not that worried about it. What I plan to do is buy the Audigy later since I can try the SPDIF output that comes with the mobo and see what that's like.
The DVD-ROM, CD-RW and the hard disks are being lifted from an existing desktop being retired.

Aug 13, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 21
aye the maudio is good for music tho ... the simpson bee says,"muy bueno"

Aug 14, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 21
The Enermax PS is loud ("whisper" my ass). I threw mine away, and bought
a Seasonic SuperSilencer (an appropos name). Love it. Now I just need to
silence that $%%$# hard drive...

Aug 14, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 21
I second (third? fourth?) the M-Audio Revo recommendation.

Although I go against most of the people here, the 4200 will hold you over till D3 no problem. You just wont be able to play it in its full glory... so don't worry about that. i'm still using my trusty 8500.

If you're not overclocking, then the motherboard is fine. Though I'm partial to the IC7 from Abit. It's a monster. Why though, are you not overclocking with Intel? If you go 2.4C you can easily get it up to 3.2C with an insane FSB. If it's the RAM that's the issue, you could always use the 4:5 ratio. It doesn't take such a big performance hit as last time.

Case, I'd get one from Antec. Just built one with an SLK3700. Cheap, high quality case with nice PSU.

Anything else? Yeah... i'd get one of those sweet 10k S-ATA Raptors from WD...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back