appropriate wire gauge size for senn cable
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
What do you guys think would be the "correct" gauge of wire to use for a senn cable? It has to be flexible enough and practical enough where I should be able to move about a bit and not worry about breaking the darn thing. I am thinking somewhere between 20-26 awg. The cable that I plan on having made would be a 4 wire litz braid. Thanks

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 7
combining basic psychoacoustics and circuit theory you can actually come up with a resistance value below which no one would be expected to hear a difference in double blind testing

ABX Amplitude vs. Frequency Matching Criteria

with a impedance plot for the cans in question you can determine how much wire resistance should be inaudible

I believe another recent thread shows that Senn pushes the lower end of wire dia for flexibility - and recovers reasonable handling strength by reinforcing with Kevlar fiber to prevent the fine, flexible wires from breaking

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
22 gauge is thicker.

Yes of course - the question being, does that extra thickness compromise too much flexiblity and usefulness as a headphone cable vs. the thinner 24 gauge? The reason I ask is because I am able to source a 22 awg wire that I am looking for and a great deal, 24 was the original intent but hey if 22 will work and doesnt make it too inflexible might as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back