Appropriate amp for 225/325 and 580/600 level of headphones
Jul 4, 2001 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

scdavis0

New Head-Fier
This was originally posted in the headphone reviews forum until I realized that it was in the wrong place.

The Grado SR-80s were my initial gateway to the world of high-end headphones. I've sold my 80s with the idea of going to something better. I'm pretty confident that my next set of headphones will be the Grado 225/325s or Sennheiser 580/600s (with an inclination towards the Grados). I figure that if I am going to pay this much money for some headphones, that I'll get an amp as well. I don't really know anything about amps (other than that they make your headphones sound better). I was checking out the new amps on headphone.com, and I'll admit that I'm pretty surprised by the prices. I certainly don't want to buy good headphones and skimp on the amp, so what do I really need? Will the Total Airhead or Little do the job? I'm not prepared to pay anymore than $250 for an amp.

Jul 4, 2001 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 21
I can't speak to the TA or the Little as I have never heard them, however for the Senns I would recommend the Creek OBH-11. My 580s really like this amp. You can get it at GoodCans here, I think they have it for $179.99. As far as the Grados are concerned, a lot of people (especially me) like the DIY Cmoy amp with Apheared's 47 mod. That amp is specifically designed for low impedance cans like the Grados.

Good luck.

Jul 4, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

As far as the Grados are concerned, a lot of people (especially me) like the DIY Cmoy amp with Apheared's 47 mod.

I have to disagree JMT..........I think I like it better than you do!
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 21
How well does the Creek (or other amps that you recommend) pair with the Grado line of headphones? For a variety of reasons, I won't be building an amp (unless someone here sells them).

Jul 4, 2001 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 21
Having a number of Grados. I find that the Creek does a very nice job of powering them. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Other than the DIY amps, I like it the best for my Grados...... better than the TA and the MG Head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 21
I use my Rega Ear for both my Grado SR-80s and my Senn HD580s. It makes both sound wonderful and it is pretty cheap... if you can find one. I think Savant Audio sells them for about $199.

Jul 6, 2001 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 21
Well thats too bad, because for 334 you can get an assembled corda. it has two impedence options and since its total neutral it wont color anything.

Jul 7, 2001 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 21
Hi scdavis,
My entry to the headphone world was also the SR-80's! I have been a Creek OBH-11 owner for quite a while now (which I opted for after disappointments with the TA), there is no doubt that it is a great little amp for under $200. However, I found the Creek to be a damper for the higher-end Grados.

I am using a Denon DCM-370 CDP and found that the RA-1 provided the full bass representation on the SR-325's & RS-1's, which the Creek killed IMO. I think Sirwars suggestion of the assembled Corda Amp. (offering cross-feed) would be a great choice for you; or the RA-1 Amp. if you feel that Grados are going to be your drug of choice!

Good Luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2001 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 21
Is it possible to buy an assembled Corda amp?

EDIT: I'm also extremely curious as to why the RA-1 isn't nearly as recommended or in use. Is it one of the best amps to drive Grado phones?

Jul 8, 2001 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 21
scdavis0,

Of course! It'll just cost a bit more than the kit, I think.

Jul 8, 2001 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by scdavis0
Is it possible to buy an assembled Corda amp?

See: http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-a...rdaheadamp.htm

Quote:

I'm also extremely curious as to why the RA-1 isn't nearly as recommended or in use. Is it one of the best amps to drive Grado phones?

I can't speak for others, but the fact that it can only take batteries (can't use a wall wart) really turned me off.

Jul 8, 2001 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 21
for 580/600's I do not recommend the creek amp. It sounds good with Grados, but not with senns. It just doesnt, sad fact, sorry everyone who likes it with the senns. I have tried the creek and the xcanv2 both of which i got at audio advisor. the xcanv2 is very much the superior of the creek obh-11. EXCEPT when driving Grados. Grados sound really nice to me out of the creek. Smoother, less fatiguing, very good overall sound.

Jul 8, 2001 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 21
I respectfully disagree with my forum friend ai0tron.

I've tried the Senns with the OBH-11, OBH-11SE, MG Head DT, hot-rodded MG Head DT, HeadRoom Max, and a DIY CHA-type amp built by JMT, and (to my ears) the OBH-11 is an excellent companion for the Sennheiser HD-600's (and so I'd assume the HD-580's too).

Jul 8, 2001 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Hey Jude,

(Ha! 'Hey Jude' .....)

Out of that list of amps you've tried with the 600s, which would you consider the best, or just your favorite, regardless of price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back