Approaching Classical
Apr 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #17 of 27
Grieg's Peer Gynt and Strauss' Til Eulenspiegel too. I think the category would be romantic programmatic pieces.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:

That's straight bananaz!! I might have to splash on that. When I started getting into classical decades ago, I consulted stuff from the CBS "Great Performances" series. I'm not quite sure how those stack up against this, but they covered what's considered the basic repertoire.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 27
This boxed set, initially recommended around here by the bigshot, is truly wonderful. The performances are great to outstanding, the sound awesome. I have no regrets buying it for my sweetie for valentine's day, and neither does she.

And hell, you know you and I have a lot of taste in music in common.

- Ed

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
Stravinsky Firebird Suite and Rite of Spring
Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain
Tchaikovsky Marche Slav and Symphony no 6 Pathetique

Borodin On the Steppes of Central Asia

Anything in that Living Stereo series with Reiner and Munch is a safe bet for a great performance. It doesn't have to be an XRCD or SACD. The regular CDs sound just as good. If you can invest $150, get that 60 CD Living Stereo box set linked above. It's one of the best introductions to classical music that you'll ever find.

Thanks for the replies all.  I can't pick up the 60 CD Living Stereo box set yet, but I hope to in the future.  For now I ordered the three CDs highlighted above.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #22 of 27
Let us know what you think when you listen to them.

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 27
Deutsche Grammophon also put together an anniversary box of 111 years (55 CDs) of recording, much from an era when big labels of this sort basically wrote the canon (simply by what they recorded). All good stuff, I look forward to comparing it to the Living Stereo 60 CDs.

Since the OP was taken by Scheherezade, I would second the suggestion of Richard Strauss symphonic poems. I'm a pretty big fan of Strauss (who, married to a singer, wrote some of the best music ever, I think, for female vocals), but as entry-points to classical music I would not mention Romantic music first, which can become "too much" after a while, but the kind of "classical" classical music that to me remains beyond reproach no matter how grumpy I get about interpretations: Haendel, Bach, Mozart. On palate-cleansing days, just some piano (or solo cello). On exuberant days, full orchestra. And nothing fits a truly sad mood like Mozart's Requiem as transcribed for string quartet...

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Deutsche Grammophon also put together an anniversary box of 111 years (55 CDs) of recording, much from an era when big labels of this sort basically wrote the canon (simply by what they recorded). All good stuff, I look forward to comparing it to the Living Stereo 60 CDs.

Since the OP was taken by Scheherezade, I would second the suggestion of Richard Strauss symphonic poems. I'm a pretty big fan of Strauss (who, married to a singer, wrote some of the best music ever, I think, for female vocals), but as entry-points to classical music I would not mention Romantic music first, which can become "too much" after a while, but the kind of "classical" classical music that to me remains beyond reproach no matter how grumpy I get about interpretations: Haendel, Bach, Mozart. On palate-cleansing days, just some piano (or solo cello). On exuberant days, full orchestra. And nothing fits a truly sad mood like Mozart's Requiem as transcribed for string quartet...

Just curious: do you have a title for that 55 CD DG release??  Would love to check it out  O never mind: just went to Amazon and found it plus many other DG releases of the total works of artists.  Very interesting.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 27

When you get this, let us know what you think.

TIA ,

- Ed

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #26 of 27
I believe there are two DGG boxes, one of which is out of print.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #27 of 27
Wow, this piece (not this recording, actually it was Ormandy) was precisely THE first piece I heard that made me love orchestral music.  I started off with solo piano but after hearing this I really became open to other orchestral music.

The suggestions in this thread have been good, but I would like to add some:

1) Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe, complete ballet - Berlin Philharmonic, Peirre Boulez conducting - amazing work, perhaps my favorite, I have 11 recordings but this one is my favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Maurice-Ravel-Daphnis-Berliner-Philharmoniker/dp/B000001GPI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This piece is a ballet with a story, so it is rather programmatic, but I don't think you should limit your next listening decisions based on that alone.  Music is so abstract that you don't need a programme per se, but this one has one.  Also the music is great, the interpretation is fantastic, and the recording quality is amazing.

2) Mahler - You'll hear this name all the time, in my opinion the greatest symphonist ever.  There are 9 complete symphonies to choose from, they are all epic, lasting 50-100 minutes in length.  Where to start?  Just based on your love of Rimsky I would suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EC6JOE/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk (this is the old studio recording from EMI, don't know if it is available)

Symphony No 6, New Philharmonic Orchestra, Barbirolli conducting - epic recording, even though it is old, his tempi and interpretation make for a terrifying performance.  No specific story or programme, but the music is so evocative you don't need one.  Honestly any of the symphonies are a good starting off point, but I would tend to stick with 1-6 before you move onto 7-9 or even 10 for a first time Mahler listening.

3)  Scriabin - The Poem of Ecstacy.  Again, Boulez friggin excels in this recording, especially in the last piece, Prometheus.  I do not like Boulez's tempi for the Poem of Ecstacy (a bit slow to me, but if it's your first exposure to this piece then it really does not matter), but it still is fantastically recorded.  This whole cd is phenomenal, the orchestral sound combinations are unlike ANYTHING you've ever heard and the recording quality is fantastic:

http://www.amazon.com/Scriabin-Poeme-Lextase-Concerto-Promethee/dp/B00000JLEP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330506223&sr=1-1

These two pieces are somewhat programmatic, but prepared to be taken to a different place, very out there compared to the Rimsky.  You may not take to it immediately, the harmonic language is a few galaxies away from either Rimsky or Mahler, but the Poem of Ecstasy is definitely more accessible than Prometheus.

I think you can preview on amazon, but these are great recordings.  Smoking some weed Relaxing and letting your mind go will definitely help with the Scriabin (actually the Mahler and Ravel as well!).  Happy listening.  I hope you listen to these and let us know what you think!

Quote:
I recently acquired this CD and really enjoyed it; went through it in one 45 minute sitting.  
I'd like to find some more pieces with this kind of style but I'm not sure what era or category this particular piece falls under.  Anyone know?  Have any recommendations?  Or any general advice starting out with classical?

Scheherazade - Rimsky-Korsakov; Fritz Reiner; Chicago SO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back