Applying for jobs, is it really too late?
Apr 14, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering you would have had to accept grad school offers by April 15th I assume you were late on those applications too?

Anyhow, you will be unemployed for a few months, better get cracking on your CV, presentation letters, dust out your suit and start applying for jobs.

I actually applied to grad school here in December. Unfortunately, my recommendation didn't come in until almost March because the wife of the recommending professor died. The graduate systems program here runs admissions later than most programs and they are particularly behind this year. I don't expect a response until June honestly. Although, my desire to go back to school immediately has waned as of late, and so, here I am.

What is a CV?

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #17 of 28
That is pretty good advice Marvin. Use everything you can to just get your foot in the door somewhere. It is easier to look for the ideal job if you at least have one to take care of the important things in life. You will make it but you have to have keep following up with the places you put in applications. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, Cornell does a really bad job teaching its grads how to network. I'm at bing (biomed eng grad) and they pound in the idea of networking from day 1 of undergrad.

Also, we're looking to have a meet here in bing so you should come down
wink.gif

Cornell engineering does a lot of things well, and a lot of things poorly. This is one of them. I don't have a clue how to network properly. I do know how to stay in and do work when everyone else is having a good time, though.

When is the meet?

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #19 of 28
Oh brother. No, you're fine. Your dad is still thinking old-school thoughts. The world doesn't work that way anymore. I know for the businesses I've been in, we hire at all times of the year, not just during June in hopes of a college grad. Not everyone graduates in June. Some people take on extra studies and graduate at a completely different time of year. Others skip a quarter or two and finish when they are able. Some even go to school for years and years while they support a family and make ends meet. They may or may not graduate in June. I can't imagine all job faucets being shut off come July 1!
Just think, if you take some extra time, there will be less people to compete with, and you'll stand out. Just don't take a job at a company you don't like or believe in. Hoo boy does that suck.

Good luck. You'll find the right job soon enough.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cornell engineering does a lot of things well, and a lot of things poorly. This is one of them. I don't have a clue how to network properly. I do know how to stay in and do work when everyone else is having a good time, though.

When is the meet?

I think every engineering department teaches their students how to stay in and not have fun
wink.gif

We dont have a date yet but me and another head-fier can do any weekend till school ends basically. Have any dates in mind?

Also, talk to your professors. They have so many contacts with businesses that it will boggle your mind.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #21 of 28
If the grad school opportunity is still open I would go that route. I had a similar decision to make 25 or so years ago and decided against the grad school route (I had a great job offer). While in the early years that was okay, nowadays I think I made a bad decision.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh brother. No, you're fine. Your dad is still thinking old-school thoughts. The world doesn't work that way anymore. I know for the businesses I've been in, we hire at all times of the year, not just during June in hopes of a college grad. Not everyone graduates in June. Some people take on extra studies and graduate at a completely different time of year. Others skip a quarter or two and finish when they are able. Some even go to school for years and years while they support a family and make ends meet. They may or may not graduate in June. I can't imagine all job faucets being shut off come July 1!
Just think, if you take some extra time, there will be less people to compete with, and you'll stand out. Just don't take a job at a company you don't like or believe in. Hoo boy does that suck.

Good luck. You'll find the right job soon enough.

Good to hear. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think every engineering department teaches their students how to stay in and not have fun
wink.gif

We dont have a date yet but me and another head-fier can do any weekend till school ends basically. Have any dates in mind?

Also, talk to your professors. They have so many contacts with businesses that it will boggle your mind.

About the meet. I'll have to check my calendar and see what obligations I have in the near future. I'm as busy now as ever. It just never gets any easier, not until you get that diploma. sigh....

I'll chat with my professors.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the grad school opportunity is still open I would go that route. I had a similar decision to make 25 or so years ago and decided against the grad school route (I had a great job offer). While in the early years that was okay, nowadays I think I made a bad decision.

I'm certainly not excluding myself from graduate study for all time. I'm just sick and tired of school at the moment. I'm also no longer confident I want to pursue a grad degree in engineering anymore. I need some time and experience to make that decision. A masters of engineering degree is a 50,000 dollar decision. I decided that it would be better to be a little less impetuous.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 28
^yeah, undergraduate career services are fantastic. All they do is deal with these questions, year after year.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

I'm certainly not excluding myself from graduate study for all time. I'm just sick and tired of school at the moment. I'm also no longer confident I want to pursue a grad degree in engineering anymore. I need some time and experience to make that decision. A masters of engineering degree is a 50,000 dollar decision. I decided that it would be better to be a little less impetuous.

Sounds just like the decision I made. I was tired of school and took up a job as a field engineer more on a whim than anything else, to get out of school, get some work experience and make up my mind about how I wanted to proceed. A year later, I was still on the job and back to working part time on my Masters, deciding that I could work on it during my days off.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

That's where I was and the decision I made. It took me a long long time to get back to school and once I did I regretted not getting it done sooner. Keep in my mind that life will change things and what you might see for yourself down the road can change change dramatically. The worst decision I made was not finishing my schooling when I was young. I eventually did but it was tough as I had three young kids to raise while I was going through it. In the end everything is fine and life is good. The path I took was definitely different than I expected coming out of school, but who is to say it came out better or worse or even the same.

Best advice to you is trust your gut. It knows.

Darcy

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

What is a CV?

CV stands for 'Curriculum vitae', and, at your stage of education, is fundamentally an academic resume. Quite surprising that a senior in college isn't aware of what a CV is, especially one majoring in the sciences.

I'd go to grad school in this economy, as a mechanical engineering training doesn't really allow you to forge your own path nowadays (starting off, you're basically forced to work for a company of sorts). Also, try to brush up on LinkedIn (and other sites) as it's a fairly useful tool, especially in this digital era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back