AppleTV + iPod Touch = sleek digital system?
Aug 29, 2008 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
Been looking (or rather lusting) at various options to set up a listening nook. Settling down on a couple of choices. One question I keep wondering about is whether or not it is worth it to go digital with a separate DAC or to keep an analog only setup for price/simplicity reasons.

As I intend the source music of my system to be high-bitrate MP3 (and probably eventually lossless), I've been looking at some options that would work for me.

Trying my best to stay digital, an AppleTV seems like a great option. Internal HDD = local storage of content equals non-dependence on a server computer running somewhere. Throw in an iPod Touch using Apple's Remote application and you don't need to set up your rig next to a TV to get a display for the AppleTV. A slightly cheaper alternative here would be to use an Airport Express which would require a computer somewhere to serve the audio but again the iPod Touch can be used with its remote application to control the music. It's not the cheapest setup but the iPod Touch could also be doubled up as a portable device (not entirely a bad thing when my current portable is a 2G iPod with a dying battery), thus further justifying its cost.

Does the AppleTV work this way? Can it run independent of a computer? Or can it only interact through a computer hooked up with iTunes?

Ruahrc

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 3
I do this much of the time... I have the 160GB ATV, and my most listend-to music is synched to the ATV HD. I do run the TOSLINK out to a Stage 3 Cullen modded PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. It is nice using the Touch, and you're right, no TV is necessary to operate it, though you'll need a monitor to set it up.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I just finished setting this up as well. I had a sort of spare AppleTV that wasn't getting much use, so I brought it to the office, where I have my Apache set up with a Valab DAC [soon to be Promitheus DAC] feeding my Senn 600 and Darth v.4 cans. It is true that once you have the setup done, you don't really need a display if you use an iPod Touch or an iPhone for your remote. But I decided to leave a small LCD display attached for the eye candy and for those times when for whatever reason, it is easier to use the Apple Remote. Very nice setup. Although I like my Wadia iTransport very much, and was prepared to get it modded, the user interface shortcomings drove me nuts. Now very sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back