Appleseed Cast ride with the ghost of Disintegration
Apr 23, 2006 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm really liking the new Appleseed Cast Peregrine. Anyone else? It does sometimes evoke the ghost of my favorite Cure album Disintegration. Real majestic sound, and sometimes Chris' voice takes on a little bit of a Robert Smith inflection. I only got it a couple weeks ago but been playing it all weekend, and really getting to know and love it. The Low Level Owl 2-disc project was very good and got them a lot of critical acclaim, especially with comparisons to crititical darlings like Godspeed You Black Emperor and Sigur Ros, but this might be my favorite yet. It's still got the big drums I love (even though it's a new drummer), and it's got the soaring melodies, and it's got the emotion. But it rocks pretty good too. Nice article about it at, of all places, MSNBC (which not too surprisingly doesn't seem to be totally happy with my Mozilla browser) ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11390884/

But back to the ghost. Lyrically and musically, it's a haunting patchwork of images. A family separated, a daughter's ghost, a once loving father racked with guilt, brutality manifesting like a shell around him, a son fighting against his enmity, and the avenging angel, the daughter, Peregrine. Chris Crisci says of it, "Peregrine, in the most simple summary, is a ghost story about love, regret, resentment, reaching out to someone confused and angry."

Apr 23, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadcrumbs
I thought about buying it, but then I didn't.

Thanks for sharing. I guess even a pity response is worth something
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Thanks for sharing. I guess even a pity response is worth something
wink.gif

Haha. Well, I'll have to get it at some point. Appleseed Cast did a few shows with The Evpatoria Report, which is one of my most favourite bands at the moment. I bought Xiu Xiu's La Foret and Black Dice's Creature Comforts instead, which is a completely different kettle of fish.

I'll post here when I have it. That way you get a pity response and a proper response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back