Apple's new patented D-shaped headphone jack
Sep 27, 2015 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WillB

100+ Head-Fier
old post

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Oooh that's the first I've heard of this, thanks for letting me know.  I'm on board with you - isolate apple fanboys even more by requiring them to use a silly connector.  I think it's goofy and 100% unnecessary. 

They'll need to make their phones a lot more rigid if they want to make them thinner... Especially after the whole bendable iphone 6 thing that went viral.  I don't think many people will throw a fit about a new headphone jack, I imagine the response will be about the same as when their new usb connector came out.  Funny thing is this isn't reversible at all.

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 11
why not just use the new usb4 or whatever micro digital connector of the day and put the dac and amp inside the headphones matched to the drivers?  i don't get why we deliver audio in analog still to the headphones.  headphones need a dac/amp anyway if they are also to support bluetooth and other wireless inputs.  it just seems modern to drop the analog signal entirely.

what we actually need is a new wireless standard that allows uncompressed cd quality or better audio without dropouts and with reasonable 20'+ range and then for everything to just support it in all directions.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Apple: driving up sales with proprietary connectors since... well, ever.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 11
If it is truly an innovative than we shouldn't mind. All change must start somewhere.

I'd prefer an innovation that didn't mean my phone and headphone jack would be thinner and thus more fragile. Apple prefers their products to break as soon as possible after the one-year warranty is up so they can hit the next quarterly sales targets.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 11
Not to be "that guy" but Samsung did this years ago - I only know this because I had one of the phones that relied on it. It came with an included adapter to TRS that also had an inline microphone - it was pretty slick since the connector for the phone-side was right-angled and stayed locked into place pretty well, and provided an extension for whatever headphones you wanted to connect. The phone was pretty thin too. No idea if the Apple "experience" will be similar or not, but it wasn't anything to complain about on that phone at least. :xf_eek:

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Can't wait to pre-order my Beats with proprietary Apple connector to listen to my Itunes .....(See sig for humor impaired).

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Not to be "that guy" but Samsung did this years ago - I only know this because I had one of the phones that relied on it. It came with an included adapter to TRS that also had an inline microphone - it was pretty slick since the connector for the phone-side was right-angled and stayed locked into place pretty well, and provided an extension for whatever headphones you wanted to connect. The phone was pretty thin too. No idea if the Apple "experience" will be similar or not, but it wasn't anything to complain about on that phone at least.
redface.gif

Aha, I remember having one of these on my samsung alias, not that I ever used it for music:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back