apple , you should be ashamed of yourselves
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #16 of 29
I think there is an improvement because you can do so much with the eq and other settings - there's crossfade, too. If you spend a bit of time tweaking the sound, you'll get it. It's the best UI on any system imo.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
djvkool, what was your problem with your iDevice that took only 3 hours to fix it? XD my brother's iPhone 4S on/off button on the top broke & took Apple 1 momths for it to get fixed...

It wasn't an iDevice mate, it was my MacBook Pro, it was doing an update and I accidentaly pull the plug out (it wasn't charging to start with), so killed the book, and I can't get it to load the OS no matter what I do based on Google search.

I had Lion OS, when they were fixing my book, they upgraded my OS to Mountain Lion, and installed iPhoto for me too, all free of charge 
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #18 of 29
Yes there is a SQ upgrade, maybe not as big as OP says, but you do have excellent EQ and effects also FLAC, it's a big win in my opinion, been using it for abouta year now, never going back to Apple firmware

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #19 of 29
Yes there is a SQ upgrade, maybe not as big as OP says, but you do have excellent EQ and effects also FLAC, it's a big win in my opinion, been using it for abouta year now, never going back to Apple firmware

Is it possible to rockbox or play Flac files on an itouch or iphone?

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Hello headfi people of the world

just recently managed to install rockbox for the first time on my
ipod classic and untill now i never realized just how bad the sound
quality was untill i heard what the rockbox is capable of doing
all i can say is wow it is amazing in every sence of the word could
not be happier with the sq of this amazing piece of software .
to all the writers of rockbox i take my hat of to you all .
amazing job all round .
apple you should be ashamed of yourselves ......really
its imbarasing .
dont understand why apple wont employ similar firmware
on there products, dont you guys think that there fan base
will explode if they had this
do you think people write to apple to give
them any feedback? why dont they make it customisable .
so we can decide what we want? bloody crazy ............
darthsmile.gif

rockbox just a little unstable but really who cares
it sounds amazing..........

ipod classic 160g 6gen
shure se535
fiio e6 amp
line out .......

I have to agree with you. The moment I plugged my IEM's into the rockboxed 5g I was taken by total surprise with the sound improvement. I wasn't expecting it as I simply want to try the flac's.

Since that moment I know I can't no longer live without the rockbox.

But you have to give Apple credits for producing the beautiful 5g/5.5g with the best user interface. Nor do I think I can live without those click wheels . Holding a slim 30GB model in my hand makes me feel like touching a beautiful ..... (use your imagination). LOL

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Hello headfi people of the world

just recently managed to install rockbox for the first time on my
ipod classic and untill now i never realized just how bad the sound
quality was untill i heard what the rockbox is capable of doing
all i can say is wow it is amazing in every sence of the word could
not be happier with the sq of this amazing piece of software .
to all the writers of rockbox i take my hat of to you all .
amazing job all round .
apple you should be ashamed of yourselves ......really
its imbarasing .
dont understand why apple wont employ similar firmware
on there products, dont you guys think that there fan base
will explode if they had this
do you think people write to apple to give
them any feedback? why dont they make it customisable .
so we can decide what we want? bloody crazy ............
darthsmile.gif

rockbox just a little unstable but really who cares
it sounds amazing..........

ipod classic 160g 6gen
shure se535
fiio e6 amp
line out .......

Have you thought of the business aspects behind it? You're using a dedicated amp/LOD with the SE535s. How many iPod users are using that? 1% ish? Add the added costs of improving sound quality that 99% of iPod users don't give a darn about (especially using their iBuds), its a no brainer to go with the design as is.

I'm glad you've been able to improve it, but we audiophiles are not a "target market" for large OEMs. But I agree, better firmware to improve SQ would be a very welcomed thing too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote: hypertek
I wish something like that existed for my original Zune 30. I still use it but had I known about rockbox it might have made me get an ipod lol. Zune only supports up to 320 bit. Though I do like the zune interface better.

You can actually use WMA lossless. I convert all my FLACs into WMA lossless to use with the Zune software. I'm not 100% sure it will sync lossless into the 30GB Zune, but it works for the 80GB and flash Zune HDs. Windows Phone 8 also works with WMA lossless. Make sure to change the sync setting to not convert files.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 29
Wow, great title. I'm sure it won't turn into another flame war. 
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I rockboxed my classic, and as many of us here have commented, the audio settings are the best part, I've never found more comprehensive settings in a player, not even in players on computers.
And the themes. And drag and drop support. 

Its the one firmware every MP3 player dreams of getting one day.

And about the rest, yes, the "Personal" from the "Personal Computing" is going away.  Nowadays people buy a computer just as they would buy a dishwasher, and a lot of them will call for repair if there's any software issue. Some call it customer service, and a lot of software is designed to be that way (unfixable by the user).

IMO the term Personal Computing was coined in an era when you got the hardware, and had to run the software on it by yourself. Boot the OS first. Solve your own problems by writing your own solutions. Hence "Personal". Those people write software today. For the rest of us. Can we say that our generation will be able to do the same in the next 20 years? Maybe, but IMO fewer and fewer.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 29
I just hate apple for not making other files readily usable. That's why I'm switching to Samsung and Android. I love the iPhone because the Music app (the standard one) works wonderfully and the iPhone is a decent sounding device, but seeing how my entire library is FLAC, it REALLY makes things a hassle for me. Also, I absolutely hate iTunes. I loved Cowon players because of the click, drag, and drop method. Almost too easy. Also, the new Apple products has lightning connectors, meaning my LOD is useless if I get the new Nano 7th gen. That's why I'm going back to Cowon.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 29
I heard some improvement, but that was due to the improvement of the lossless source that rbox was able to play.  MUCH bigger gains come from the line out port with an amp on a 5th gen iPod. IMHO, if its not on the line out and doesn't use the Wolfson DAC, its just shrill to the ears. But I've always preferred a slightly warm sound. Harks back to the first time I heard a pair of Stax on serious tube amp. I haven't quite been the same since. 
biggrin.gif

My Shure E530s died, and looking for custom IEMs to replace. Until then my iPod plays audio books while I work out. The stock earbuds are _killing_ me.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #27 of 29
It wasn't an iDevice mate, it was my MacBook Pro, it was doing an update and I accidentaly pull the plug out (it wasn't charging to start with), so killed the book, and I can't get it to load the OS no matter what I do based on Google search.

I had Lion OS, when they were fixing my book, they upgraded my OS to Mountain Lion, and installed iPhoto for me too, all free of charge :beerchug:

You can have some of my jelly! XD i have internet connection error always when my router are too busy. Interesting problem xD

Anyway, thanks! I think I shall rockbox by iPod. Available for iPod Nano 3 or iPhone(original)? Thanks :)

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #28 of 29
rockbox is awesome indeed. for sansas as well it is a must.

yes it does embarrass the stock firmware of most devices. boots up faster. often times is easier on the battery (disable wheel light option for sansas)

depending on the device, the rockbox eq can sometimes be only slightly better or even not at all really.. on any sansa ive used for example things just seem to get distorted with more than a click or 2 (up) anywhere on the eq (just like a normal sansa)

just like a computer with a regular crappy run of the mill soundcard. when you start tweaking the eq too much things just seem to sound shattier.

try leaving the eq flat. find just the regular TREBLE and BASS settings and adjust those. some devices sound better that way.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
Is it possible to rockbox or play Flac files on an itouch or iphone?

As Tinyman said, there are apps that'll play flac, but Rockbox is not available for the ipod touch or iphone - I think it'd be a massive undertaking beyond the patience of the developers at RB. I wish they would take a crack at the J3 - if I could RB the J3, I would never get rid of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back