Apple vs Android
Dec 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vincedea

Head-Fier
Which product works best with external DAC's? what are the pros and cons for each one? From what i have been reading or been told, is that Apple products aren't able to use external DAC/AMP and are stuck with the internal DAC in the iphone, while Android phones are compatible with many different DAC's.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 14
There are Idevice DACs, like Sony PHA-1, Cypher Labs, Fostex Hp-P1,etc

Or you can use a CCK( Camera Connection Kit) and plug an usb dac into it.  This only works with DACs that don't take power out of the phone.  It worked on my Leckerton and some of the desktop ones I own before.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 14
With the CCK, you can use can try fiio or other DACs.  Some will work, some won't.  It depends on how they are designed.  

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Android requires Audio OTG USB for an external DAC to work. With the new iOS 7, a lot of DAC will work with CCK and sometimes, powerhub is needed. However, still, there are some DAC which will pops out a message saying that it drains too much power for iPhone/iPad.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Are cck and power hubs expensive? Having all those connected, wouldn't it be a hassle to carry around?

CCK cost around $40 if I am not mistaken with the power hubs at around $10.

As for weight and size, there are some creative people around here who uses double sided tab or something else to stick all those at the back of their smartphone CASEs :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Are cck and power hubs expensive? Having all those connected, wouldn't it be a hassle to carry around?

CCK cost around $40 if I am not mistaken with the power hubs at around $10.

As for weight and size, there are some creative people around here who uses double sided tab or something else to stick all those at the back of their smartphone CASEs :)

Lol double side taped and taping everything together?

I was looking at the cck do those work on the iPhone 5? The connector looks like the old 30 pin vs the 9 pin.

How good is the internal dac of an iPhone vs Samsung?

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 14

You might find that plugging the power hub into a power line (Mains) to be a bit challenging when on the road. If that is meant to be a powered USB Hub.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 14

I was looking at the cck do those work on the iPhone 5? The connector looks like the old 30 pin vs the 9 pin.

Haha I admit it, I really can't recall the name of this object xD

As for DAC, putting the resolution capability aside, the iPhone have pretty decent sound to it but I am not sure about the new smartphone model of Samsung :)

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 14

Haha I admit it, I really can't recall the name of this object xD

As for DAC, putting the resolution capability aside, the iPhone have pretty decent sound to it but I am not sure about the new smartphone model of Samsung :)

So I guess the only way I can use an amp is get the 9 pin adaptor thing and use an LOD cable I order to even use an amp with it?

Or do I get the adaptor, cck adaptor, and then LOD cable?

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 14
So I guess the only way I can use an amp is get the 9 pin adaptor thing and use an LOD cable I order to even use an amp with it?

Or do I get the adaptor, cck adaptor, and then LOD cable?

9-pin to 30-pin adapter + LOD cable :) there's no 9-pin LO out yet therefore, that's the only way to do so. Do note that, I have never test this kind of connection. I usually use 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack when connecting to iPhone 5 and just set the iPhone's volume to max. Not much hisses or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back