Apple TV
Nov 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's got one? Any problems? What do you think of it? Anyone using it with a non-Mac?

I'm going to get one as soon is it gets up to 1080p capabilities. I don't even know if this is possible, if it's fesible, or when it could possibly happen...I will monitor any responses that you get, because I've been interested in Apple TV for some time now...

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I use one with my iMac. Its nice, but not perfect. Freezes occasionally and drops the wifi feed which basically wipes all your programs that are not already DL'd to the Apple TV box. But when it is 100% its very cool. My wife and I watch a lot of DL content from the Apple store, plus our TV is hooked into a nice stereo which allows me to access my music in the TV room.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 5
I have two, and we love them. One is set up in a family room, where we control the access to program content more tightly, and another in a different room where the focus is more on music. Each is synced with the master media server. Now, it is all run on Macs, but I have plenty of PC friends who use one with satisfaction. I have not had Pangaea's experience of dropped wi-fi signal, but I have had some minor interruptions in access to the iTS, but nothing I can actually say is the ATV's fault.

One thing I am considering is another ATV, instead of a Wadia iTransport. Much as I like the WiT, at the end of the day, its human interface is still the iPod. And that doesn't hold a candle to the ATV's interface whicvh is just too sweet for words. As I understand it, with the ATV's digital output, I still get the full benefit of all my WAV and APple Lossless files delivered into the amplification chain (my current weak link; it's a nice Denon A/V receiver, but my wallet-sucking arrival in Head Fi has caused me to rethink a possible return to high-end stereo). Now, if I am wrong, someone please tell me, but right now, it looks like the ATV is a much better interface and cheaper conduit for access to my lossless files in my stereo system.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to get one as soon is it gets up to 1080p capabilities. I don't even know if this is possible, if it's fesible, or when it could possibly happen...I will monitor any responses that you get, because I've been interested in Apple TV for some time now...

Well, as long as it has the 4GB filesize limitation 1080p would only be useful for tv.

Even so, it is being compressed all to hell anyway - I think 720p is fine.

720p with 4GB for a movie and it can still reach the point where 100 meg switched ethernet is too slow for streaming some high-action scenes with a lot of detail.

You'd have to sync all your 1080p stuff to the internal hard drive just for it to even be watchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back