Apple SuperDrive skips while trying to play a CD.
Feb 16, 2015 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Moab

New Head-Fier
My new Apple Superdrive skips excessively while trying to play a new Shinedown Leave a Whisper cd with zero scratches on the disc.  This cd plays perfectly in my car.  I also get skips when trying to download this cd into iTunes.  A new Cars cd I just bought skips slightly also.  Four Pink Floyd remastered cd's play perfectly however and transferred into iTunes perfectly.   

Anyone else experience this problem and what did you do to fix it?  I am using a two year old Apple iMac with a 500GB flash drive.   

Thanks in advance.   

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 4
That's odd. I suppose it's possible the laser or something in the superdrive is slightly askew that causes it to work with some CDs but not with others. In my experience, that's not typically how it works - usually once you start to have issues reading a CD, you have issues reading all CDs. Are all the discs you tried actually CDs, or were some of them DVDs?

I would probably exchange the drive and try a different one.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 4
All the disc's were cd's that I have tried in the Apple SuperDrive.  The Shinedown cd states that it is an enhanced cd on the back of it with bonus footage plus 45 video included.  Maybe that is the problem, but I also had a few skips on the Cars first album cd I bought which is also a new cd.

I read the reviews on the Apple website on the Superdrive and it gets 3 out of 5 stars due to some people having issues with it.  Amazon reviews are excellent on the SuperDrive.  Maybe I have a bad one or this is just the way it really works.  

If there is something better I am willing to buy it to solve the issue.  I have started looking into the Samsung drives, but I wanted to hear what everyone is using before I buy something else.  

Thanks  

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 4
I took my SuperDrive to the Apple store today with the two cd's that would skip in this drive.  Apple tested it and it was bad.  They exchanged it for a new one due to I have Apple Care on the computer I bought the SuperDrive with.  The new SuperDrive works great with zero skipping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back