Apple SuperDrive issues. Any good replacement?
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Moab

New Head-Fier
I have a two year old Apple iMac with a 500GB flash drive.  I just started putting cd's into iTunes on this mac with a Apple SuperDrive.  The first 10 cd's worked great except for the Shinedown Leave a Whisper cd(does say enhanced on the back of this cd case which could be part of the problem).  The SuperDrive will not play this cd without skipping or give me a non skipping iTunes lossless copy of this CD.  This cd has zero scratches and it is new.  This cd plays perfectly in my car.    

The SuperDrive does not get the best reviews on the Apple website by some people while other people love the SuperDrive.  Any good replacement drive out there for a newer iMac?  Any advice would be appreciated.      

Thanks in advance.   

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 4
Another CD the Apple SuperDrive had a couple of minor skips was on the first Cars album cd I bought recently.  I bought four Pink Floyd Remasters cd's and none of them ended up with a skip at all when transferred into iTunes.  The Shinedown Leave A Whisper cd produced tons of skipping.  

Anyone else have similar issues and how did you solve the problem on a newer Apple computer? 

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 4
If the superdrive is new I'd return it or exchange for a new one. Alternatively you can try a non-apple external dvd drive or a different computer and see if that works?

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, Linchpin.  I actually took my SuperDrive to the Apple store today with the two cd's that would skip in this drive.  Apple tested it and it was bad.  They exchanged it for a new one due to I have Apple Care on the computer I bought the SuperDrive with.  The new SuperDrive works great with zero skipping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back