apple stores got the new shuffle today
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's difficult to directly compare apples to apples
regular_smile .gif
because i dont use the apple buds with my 2nd gen shuffle and you have to with the new model. So using the new apple buds with both 2nd and 3rd gen models i do hear a different brighter sound with the 3rd gen which is more pleasing to my ears.

I think I read somewhere that you can use any headphones... but can not use the functions or change volume of course.

Try this:
- set shuffle to 'off' on the player
- insert headphones of your choice
- switch the shuffle to play or shuffle whatever (one of the 'on' functions) using the buttons on the player

If this works, let us know how it sounds on some real headphones! Thanks.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 35
Great to hear that it has hit the stores already!
smile.gif

Someone put up a review...

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by _j_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I read somewhere that you can use any headphones... but can not use the functions or change volume of course.

Try this:
- set shuffle to 'off' on the player
- insert headphones of your choice
- switch the shuffle to play or shuffle whatever (one of the 'on' functions) using the buttons on the player

If this works, let us know how it sounds on some real headphones! Thanks.

sadly doesn't work, when you unplug the phones it goes in to pause mode (like the bigger ipods do)

what does work is you have the other phones plugged in already and power it on.

So that being said with my shure e4s, noticeable improvement and NO HISS compared to my 2nd gen. based on this I will definitely be picking up an adapter when they are available.

sorry about no pics, on the road with no camera. not even a cell phone camera.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

sadly doesn't work, when you unplug the phones it goes in to pause mode (like the bigger ipods do)

what does work is you have the other phones plugged in already and power it on.

So that being said with my shure e4s, noticeable improvement and NO HISS compared to my 2nd gen. based on this I will definitely be picking up an adapter when they are available.

sorry about no pics, on the road with no camera. not even a cell phone camera.

No hiss is incredibly good news! Thanks for testing this out.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #20 of 35
one more update:

I had forgotten about the inline volume control that came with my shures so now I have been able to put it to use. I used the supplied remote/buds to get the volume on the shuffle up and then plugged the shures with the inline back in to the ipod.

Based on more listening in that combo (i can live with not skipping or going backward short term) I am very pleased with the sound I'm hearing. Very open and detailed and no hiss.

It's significantly better than either the 1st or 2nd gen shuffle and is on par with my ipod classic.

Short answer, I'm happy with it.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

It's significantly better than either the 1st or 2nd gen shuffle and is on par with my ipod classic.

I'm going to have to wait for more impressions on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

not really, I already have a 4gb clip. I also have a samsung pebble and a 1st and 2nd gen shuffle as well.

i just love music and tiny mp3 players

You should check this out: Acorn MP3 Player

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #23 of 35
Acron player is kinda big? and doesnt really fit in the pocket, but great for wearing it :p

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 35
How about DIY'ing a 3.5 female jack to the ibud cable after the remote ( cut the buds off of the ibuds, bring the rt and lt cables together and solder the bare wires to a 3.5 female jack) Then plug any IEM's or cans for that matter into the new adapter you just made.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'd cut off the buds and install a jack so you have the remote and can use any headphones you want.

Or just buy something else or wait for the official controls.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #28 of 35
I just read in another thread that the controls are after the Y so you can't just cut the wire and install a jack. Fortunately, I'm not interested in something with only 4GB and no screen.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #29 of 35
You just try and stop us DIY'ers. I have triple driver customs so I buds are out of the question. I have a 1gb and 2gb previous gen shuffle and I really like them. Even with AAC. so I will get a new one at some point and DIY the cable adapter myself.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #30 of 35
does that mean *gasps* the controlling scheme from the player is send to the right ear buds only!? omG apple what have you done. If you splice your headpones on the right, and join up the controls should work.. Anyone with replacement cables might able to do it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back