Apple Store Turns Me Off!!!!!
Aug 5, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
the Apple cinema series monitors are LG/Phillips S-IPS panels, the same exact panel can be found in select LG, Dell, and NEC montitors for alot less money. im using one now.

i look at Apple as the Volkswagen of the PC world, syling is sleak and round, sport mediocre but acceptable performance with overhyped trendy marketing, but have general reliabilty issues, and they have nerve to charge $40K for an optioned Passat. a PC can be anything from a Honda civic to a purpose-built F1 car, depending on how you intend to use it and how much skill you have to build, tune, and maintain it.

Is your anti-Apple crusade about done now? And of course you have experience with power macs AND souped up pc's to really compare, right? You're aware of the hardware differences between a bottom-of-the-line notebook compared to a full sized desktop, or rather the potential differences, right? Enjoy saving those 10ths of seconds of speed turning off the gui enhancements. Assuming your graphics card is decent, it's quite capable of running the Xp full gui.
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #48 of 66
Everytime I see the name "Apple" I think of this: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060612-7039.html No way will I be supporting this SLAVE labour by buying any of their products. As soon as they start paying their workers a decent wage and provide them with good conditions to work in I may consider buying some Apple stuff but, as it is, I'm staying way clear of these profiteering slave drivers.

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Everytime I see the name "Apple" I think of this: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060612-7039.html No way will I be supporting this SLAVE labour by buying any of their products. As soon as they start paying their workers a decent wage and provide them with good conditions to work in I may consider buying some Apple stuff but, as it is, I'm staying way clear of these profiteering slave drivers.

Apple isn't the only company guilty of this, in fact, this is more the norm nowadays than not. It's beyond sad, it's like they read that social responsibility chapter of the marketing book and made it skin deep, and then read the globalization chapter and made it all around worse.

But I agree, sending some inspectors to "investigate the situation" is too little too late, it's just paying lip-service, hoping to sweep this dirty little secret under the rug. If you want to boycott Apple for it, there are also some other companies to boycott, but you have the diy skills to probably do just that too.
wink.gif

In short, at least this is a real reason not to buy a company's products. This is what I meant when I said they weren't the touchy-feeley company they pretend to be. They're ruthless as any other. And no, I don't believe profitability and ruthlessness mean the same thing.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome
Reply to #10 post: Sorry about your bad expreience with Gateway. I bought a Gateway notebook almost 2 years ago for my daughter and it's been great. I bought this one at Office Depot with an extended warranty and an over the counter exchange if it bites the dust.

Regardles of manufacturer, you could have a problem with any of them.

Office Depot doesn't do over the counter exchanges unless it is within 14 days, someone lied to you just to get their comission.

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesmai
Office Depot doesn't do over the counter exchanges unless it is within 14 days, someone lied to you just to get their comission.

I had the same thing done to me in a private audio store, the guy lied about the return policy. Some yelling at them and threats by my mom about calling the Better Business Bureau and bam, the item suddenly got returned.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #53 of 66
Why do i feel like plainsong is the only person in this thread with their head fully on?
I have run linux (lets see, debian, red hat, gentoo, ubuntu (technically a form of debian), and finally suse), windows (3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP), and Mac OS (9.2 and 10.1 and 10.2 and 10.3), all for extended periods of time. My desktop and laptop are both windows based currently, mostly because i cant take the time to keep up my linux right now (or at least during the school year, its just too much work), and i have never owned an apple product, preferring instead to build my desktop computers and to buy IBM Thinkpad computers, which have never done me wrong, they are built like bricks, and last forever, our one from 1995 just needs a new battery to be basically good as new.
Anyway, in my opinion, any of the three OSes are fine for day to day, week to week usage, i could use any of them, they just require different, ah, strategies would be the best word i guess, to make them do what you want. If i want a program in windows, i go, find the site to download the binary, as i do in OSX. In linux, i go search through portage (gentoo package system), and when i type 'emerge [program_name]' it downloads, configures, and compiles my program for me.
The word processing programs are pretty much the same on all three systems (microsoft office or open office), and most of the programs are interchangeable. There is really no definitive reason why one OS is better or worse than other OSes, just why they fit your needs, wants, and schedule better.

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome
I sold my Apple PowerBook on ebay today. I told the buyer I would UPS it tomorrow. I called the Apple Store in Towson, Maryland and ask if I bought a new computer from them if they could transfer my setting and files to the new computer. The person that answered the phone said yes but I would have to leave my PowerBook at the store for up to 3 days because they were busy. I thought to myself, I can do this without their help and then I ask my next question. I would like to buy a MacBook with 1GB of ram instead of the 512MB that comes with the computer. Could I pay $100.00 extra at the store which is the same price on your web site to get the extra memory? I could pay the extra money but it would be more than $100.00 because I would leave the store with the two 256MB chips that come in the computer. They would not give me credit for the memory chips which I do not need

Next Paragraph and Fast Forward less than 1 hour after the above phone call. I go to Office Depot and buy a Gateway for $759.00 + tax that has 1GB Ram / Dvd + Cd writer / 80 GB hard drive / Powerfull AMD Turion 64 chip / Dedicated ATI Graphics Card / 3 Years parts and labor extended warranty. All of this in a MacBook would have been twice as much.

I got this off my chest and I feel better. Beware of The Apple Store

Yep, that is how Apple works with prices. You Will Pay More for equivalent hardware.

Ironically, they are ranked the best among all computer manufacturers for quality of service (according to CR). I believe it, but only because Gateway/Dell/Compaq et al. are so bad.

-Matt

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #55 of 66
I love both Windows and OSX and I feel I need both to survive in this generation. I got my last job because of my knowledge in OSX. People who think only one tool will get the job done are just burying themselves deeper into a hole. If you want to be worth anything in the world you better be well-rounded. Windows fanboys / OSX fanboys offer nothing to the community of computing. People who understand the strengths and weaknesses of both and knowing how to use their strengths are the ones that bring things to the table.

Trying to preach that only one operating system is better than the other is just stupid. I only recommend Apple because their systems are capable of running both OSX and Windows at a great price. Plus who doesn't appreciate great design and excellent GUI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Yep, that is how Apple works with prices. You Will Pay More for equivalent hardware.

Ironically, they are ranked the best among all computer manufacturers for quality of service (according to CR). I believe it, but only because Gateway/Dell/Compaq et al. are so bad.

-Matt

This is true but you also pay for great design and OSX. That is really the premium you are paying for. Those who don't understand that might as well just buy a regular pc laptop.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #56 of 66
Other than the first bit about myself, thanks btw, that's what I've been trying to say. It's all preference, I grok OsX. I knew I'd grok it when I was using a next like WM in linux... this was a while ago, it was my husband's setup, I think it was Afterstep, don't quote me on that though. But sometimes when you hop from one to the other, there's an adjustment period where you figure out the little bells and whistles, and shortcoming, and it can be frustrating and you may not want to deal with that - it doesn't mean the os sucks though.

I find Euclid's arguments unreasonable and ill-thoughtout in every way. He/she simply doesn't have the experience to know what the differences are, and I can figure that much out from what's said here and in other threads. Sorry. I for one am certainly not saying that one only prefers XP if they lack experience. I'm saying YOU lack experience. You may have been using computers since before you could walk or talk, you may be punching code at Assembly 06 right now, I have no idea, but if you don't know how to install hardware drivers, and you don't know how to use the context menu in OsX, and you aren't aware of how to use the shell, then yes, IMO you lack the experience to proclaim what one Os is capable and not capable of achieving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Why do i feel like plainsong is the only person in this thread with their head fully on?
I have run linux (lets see, debian, red hat, gentoo, ubuntu (technically a form of debian), and finally suse), windows (3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP), and Mac OS (9.2 and 10.1 and 10.2 and 10.3), all for extended periods of time. My desktop and laptop are both windows based currently, mostly because i cant take the time to keep up my linux right now (or at least during the school year, its just too much work), and i have never owned an apple product, preferring instead to build my desktop computers and to buy IBM Thinkpad computers, which have never done me wrong, they are built like bricks, and last forever, our one from 1995 just needs a new battery to be basically good as new.
Anyway, in my opinion, any of the three OSes are fine for day to day, week to week usage, i could use any of them, they just require different, ah, strategies would be the best word i guess, to make them do what you want. If i want a program in windows, i go, find the site to download the binary, as i do in OSX. In linux, i go search through portage (gentoo package system), and when i type 'emerge [program_name]' it downloads, configures, and compiles my program for me.
The word processing programs are pretty much the same on all three systems (microsoft office or open office), and most of the programs are interchangeable. There is really no definitive reason why one OS is better or worse than other OSes, just why they fit your needs, wants, and schedule better.

Aug 6, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #57 of 66
Hey, anyone knows where I can download those Apple Display sample images? Or anyone has them care to upload some of the best ones?

I saw lots of very beautiful, nice quality images, especially the ones with human objects.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #58 of 66
I've always thought macs were for those who are (relatively) less technically inclined and/or the artsy/design type but are still into computers.
PCs on the other hand are for both the unwashed masses and the powerusers. I personally would never buy a mac because of performance, but I would consider one for my girlfriend.

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
What can you do on a PC that I cannot do on a MAC?
If you say games, i will come back at you with final cut, its the same thing, and its a stupid argument that has nothing to do with the pros and cons of OSX.
I am not defending OSX, i am rebutting someone who is one-sided.

Well actually, if you CAN do something unique on an OS, would that not be a pro or a con? Seems to be exactly what a good/bad feature would be. And lets be serious for a little bit here, final cut is used because... final cut is used. It's like Protools is used because.... Protools is used. It's the industry standard because it once had a unique and more powerful feature set. Never mind that more stable or more powerful programs have come along (in the case of Protools, I could argue Cubase) and have either been left by the wayside because recording engineers only know protools, or have been stamped out entirely in an MS-esqe takeover. (I'm looking at you finalcut)

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #60 of 66
I went through this thread tried to quickly delete the flame war posts and keep the thread as much on topic as possible. I'm sure there are posts that could/should be deleted as well, but I'm too tired to reread it all now. Anyhow, please stay at least relatively on topic and no more Apple vs. Windows stuff, which eventually leads to just hurtful posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back