Apple should bring out a high res lightning - 3.5mm DAC dongle & a new (better!) Bluetooth codec.
May 24, 2021 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pro-Jules

1000+ Head-Fier
To get the best from their hi res audio future.

Why should we screw around with camera kit adapters and 3rd party usb DAC's?

May 24, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Agreed. With apple bringing lossless to their catalog, a better high-res solution is sorely needed for apple devices. I am finding the currently available setup hilariously frustrating. The lack of support makes Android an appealing alternative right now.

I am currently using an iPhone X -> Camera Kit -> USB C -> FiiO BTR5 -> IEM setup. I also hook up a USB battery bank to the camera kit to keep everything powered up. It takes like 5 minutes to set up everything properly, and then I usually have to take it apart afterwards to charge the BTR-5 and use on other equipment. So many cables are a complete disaster which makes me appreciate my Bluetooth devices. It is so cumbersome that I find myself falling back to the simple dongle adapter or AAC Bluetooth, despite the better quality of the setup I mentioned. I also feel very self-conscious walking through a park with so many cables attached to me. It has frustrated me to the point that I am looking at changing to Android or buying a DAP, which I am finding to be a rabbit hole. I would really prefer not to buy a DAP; I just want a phone that works for all my needs including audio.

A high-quality (apple certified) dongle would be welcome in my books. Sometimes convenience is worth a lot to me, meaning I would probably buy new apple equipment with lossless capabilities. The size of the audiophile market might limit the extent apple will prioritize this. I really hope they do, both so they make better products and to increase the competition in the phone audio space overall. With LG moving out of the cell phone game, there is a void to be filled.

I have no idea what is required to implement a better codec, but that is another selling point of Android to me. I really like having wireless options for walking around the house or being outside, even though there is an audio quality and reliability tradeoff. LDAC is another reason why I will probably go Android unless Apple comes to the table with a solution.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 4
LDAC sounds great. But it's range can be poor.

I own a cute little DAC Sony NWZ 507 (and some iems) but its Battery life is shocking.

Would rather just have an Apple all in one

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 4
So I bought and am happy with, a THX Onyx dongle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back