apple said there's nothing wrong with my ipod, apparently. sent it back to me
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wiggy Fuzz

100+ Head-Fier
a while ago i sent off my 32GB ipod touch 2g, because i had been having problems with the dock connector - it was like it was never sitting on the dock properly, and i always had to jiggle it about on a music dock or my LOD before it'd work, and even then it'd skip (a hilarious example was a particularly deep song managed to make it dislodge itself from the dock it was sitting on.

anyway, 2 weeks later it came back saying there's nothing wrong with it. i was kinda confused, so at the store (my work place) i loaded up songs from my laptop and tested it. sure enough, it was as temperamental as always, where other docks worked perfectly.

i kinda didn't want to send it away for another two weeks, so i thought i'd ride it out and just use the line out jack.

anyway, while in basingstoke i discovered an istore (never been in one before), so asked them. the usual questions (did you use the right adapter?) and i thought i'd test it on their docks. it only played on the zeppelin after some effort (bearing in mind the zeppelin hasn't got a place for the adapter.

even the dude at the apple store said apple should have just replaced it. now i'm not sure what i should do. i mean, the thing's clearly faulty, but i don't want to wait another two weeks for them to help me clear my data.

and all the docks i tried it on (including my little adapter and cambridge audio dock) were working fine. every other ipod worked, and even my friends ipod touch (same as mine) worked no issues at all.

... i did have a windows xp sticker stuck on the back, if it's any help. maybe i'll send it later in the month without the sticker, and see what happens.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 9
That's funny..usually Apple support is top-notch(assuming you're still under warranty/applecare). I had issues with my 32g (G1), after a brief evaluation period in-store, they deemed mine indeed faulty(software issue though..) and sent me a brand new one, even shipped to my local store 1 day rush in time for me to get back to school. I would take it back again to the store, and really ask them what they can do for you.

Also, sidenote. If you have internal water damage of any kind, they are under instruction to not replace it or repair it free of charge(even if you're on warranty.) If that makes a difference..

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Do you have Apple stores in the UK? They will replace then right in the store for you. Apple has always given me great support, I have been a user for a long time now.

Funny little thing:
I develop on my iPhone, which apparently breaks the living **** out of them. I am on my 8th one...yes 8. They just keep on replacing them, no questions asked.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 9
i went to an apple store in basingstoke (didn't even know it existed), and they said they'd send it off to apple themselves (with a postage fee). i might try the london one today, though. i just keep getting told everywhere "we can send it again, but yadyadyaa..."

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Maybe sending it without the Windows sticker will help... lol.

Sounds stupid. I know they don't do it, but the stores should really replace it for you since you clearly showed them that it's faulty.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 9
it wasn't a properly big retail store like regents street or anything, it was just an istore. never actually seen an istore before.

strange thing, i sent my classic for repairs too, with a windows sticker. that came back with water damage. i'm convinced jobs took a leak on it.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 9
well, they put an appointment for the next day (who sets appointments to have stuff looked at? at least it beats a 2 week wait), so stuff should be fine. meanwhile i went about trying the display ipods with my LOD and amp. they all worked perfectly, regardless of how much the LOD was jiggled.

elswhere, after the visit... my friends ipod classic fought with his rail card, the rail card losing the battle and ended up out of his pocket. ipod smug and triumphant, i made him buy a pair of porta pros over the stock buds. he's loving them.

EDIT: apple genius tried it with my grados. wiggled the LOD, and it was an out right swap. also while on the train the line out jack also started distorting, too.

funny thing, even though i bought my ipod on the 25th january this year, the woman checked the serial number and apparently it had been activated on october last year (2008). even though it was a brand new device when i opened it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back