Apple Music... Seriously?
Jul 2, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #211 of 360
And this is how uninformed "information" spreads.

Go to the article that he linked, and read the first page of comments.  There are a couple of guys there that go into a discussion about DRM and ownership.  Its quite informative.  I can see why Apple is doing what it is doing.  Short version is - keep an archive of your original rips in case you ever unsubscribe. I have no isue with what they are doing.  You don't own the digital form for streaming - but you do still own any original copies you have (if you have the physical medium).

Not sure I entirely agree Brooko. I understand the need for DRM when saving files for offline listening. Those files are not "owned" by the subscriber, makes sense. However, when considering the feature of allowing my own library to be accessible everywhere (and backed up), when I pull down music to restore my own music from my own library, it should not be in a DRM protected file. If I upload a 320k file to google music from my library, I get a 320k unprotected file back. This, to me, makes sense.

My intent was not to spread misinformation.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #212 of 360
How did you jump from streaming to itunes purchases being affected?
sorry i misunderstood what was posted about DRM being implemented by Apple..of course i understood we do not own any digital music from Apple Music subscription, the service is like you own the music until you unsubscribe that is..i just thought they would implement the protection onto the purchased albums from iTunes as well before the Apple Music service came..have not opened the link yet as my internet is slow at the moment..

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #213 of 360
Not sure I entirely agree Brooko. I understand the need for DRM when saving files for offline listening. Those files are not "owned" by the subscriber, makes sense. However, when considering the feature of allowing my own library to be accessible everywhere (and backed up), when I pull down music to restore my own music from my own library, it should not be in a DRM protected file. If I upload a 320k file to google music from my library, I get a 320k unprotected file back. This, to me, makes sense.

My intent was not to spread misinformation.

If you purchased the files from iTunes - then after you cancel the subscriber service, simply delete the DRM copy and redownload from the iTunes cloud (not the subscriber cloud).

If you used your own library - make sure you keep an archived copy.

Either way - Apple is not doing anything shifty here.  What they are doing is making sure that if you're using their streaming service - any files you stream are protected from getting into the wild.  Otherwise it's a breeding ground for piracy.  And then ultimately the artists lose.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #214 of 360

If you purchased the files from iTunes - then after you cancel the subscriber service, simply delete the DRM copy and redownload from the iTunes cloud (not the subscriber cloud).

If you used your own library - make sure you keep an archived copy.

Either way - Apple is not doing anything shifty here.  What they are doing is making sure that if you're using their streaming service - any files you stream are protected from getting into the wild.  Otherwise it's a breeding ground for piracy.  And then ultimately the artists lose.

Fair points, but a heads up would've been nice from Apple. I think I'll refrain from mixing my library with the iCloud Music part, would take forever to sort through (I have backups of course, but still).

It's Swedish, låtar = songs. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #215 of 360
I think one of the biggest issues beyond UI, is a visual way to allow me to see the depth of my music interests. Im an older dude so I have a lot of types of music that I like, but wish there was a way to give me more variety in a glance. I know there is the hearting a band and narrowing of my choices  so it will make relevant choices for me.

Spotify was awful in determining what I like. lol Most of the time its doing a search for what I want to hear. Something really intuitive like my cd library on my wall.... that doesn't get used cuz its all on hard drive...
but iTunes can't read my mind... yet!! moohahahaha

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #216 of 360
Anyone noticing delays in songs starting? I played with it a bit more last night, and as before am having 4-6 second delays between clicking and the music starting -- on fast cable wifi connection. Spotify is almost immediate, so don't think it is an internet issue.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #217 of 360
Decided to just purchase a new external hard drive and backup my library to it and put it in a closet incase i ever need the originals back once they f up my entire library with DRM, and eventually they will it is just a question of when.  is there a quick tool to tell you all drm protected tracks recursively in a folder?  i briefly glanced at the tracks in my library and didn't see anything saying they were drm anywhere.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #218 of 360
Jul 2, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #221 of 360
Might just be the servers are a bit overloaded with the extra burden of the new service combined with what is likely a huge number of people using the trial.  I would guess that things will settle down after a bit, but I would not expect even Apple to have the full infrastructure in place to seemlessly handle the number of requests expected at launch.  I'm actually surprised there are not even more issues than have been reported.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #222 of 360
First post, hi everyone.

Tracks start almost immediately for me and no slower than changing tracks on a CD player. As for quality, well I'm a relative noob to the Audiophile gear at home, DJing in a local bar was my thing almost a decade ago and my ears are still ringing lol, but it sounds pretty good to me. I'm using a MacBook Pro, IPad Air 2 and a 6 + with a pair of new Denon AH-GC20's (which I love by the way) and I am glad to say I surprisingly happy. The app is much better than Spotifys and Tidals (not hard really, especially the desktop version) and I was surprised how well the For You section found me some really relevant music in only a few hours listening and Loving. I'm looking forward to trailing things further over the next 3 months.

Cheers,
Andy

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #223 of 360
Welcome Andydigital. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #225 of 360
  So... Im sure this has been discussed. Apple Music is 256 AAC encoded (MP4??) vs the 320 MP3 of Spotify. I think the Apple sounds better even though its  only 256

Different algorithm - and many (myself included) regard it as a more transparent codec - especially at higher resolutions.  I personally find aac256 transparent to lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back