Apple Music... Seriously?
Jul 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #196 of 360
I am going to shunned, barred from Head - fi and put into a torture room. Just gave Apple Music a listen. It's not as bad as i thought re SQ. Have been a Qobuz Suber for a year so will need to do further testing. The ui is better than Spotify. Please be dont be too hard on me!!
popcorn.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #197 of 360
  I am going to shunned, barred from Head - fi and put into a torture room. Just gave Apple Music a listen. It's not as bad as i thought re SQ. Have been a Qobuz Suber for a year so will need to do further testing. The ui is better than Spotify. Please be dont be too hard on me!!
popcorn.gif

Don't worry, you're not alone :wink:

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #198 of 360
UI is def better and to me the sound is better. I had a subscription to Spotify for a while... iTunes Family makes sense to me.
Sure its not Tidal, but Im usually at work (crappy speakers) or on the road (External noise) so MP3 vs lossless isn't that noticeable.

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #199 of 360
Yep, agree, Its fine for listening on the go. The iTunes Family too makes sense to me as well. Lets face it, without been patronizing my ten year old has not a clue about music formats. All he cares about is the music. Saves me a fortune... can you imagine "Hey Dad i want a Tidal / Qubuz Sublime Account, sure Son, ask your Mum and good look with that" 

My point is. In my free time and sitting at home and want to listen to really good Hi Res music i just use Qubuz. Apple Music has its place as a mass consumer product. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #200 of 360
hello, pardon if this is a noob question..i no longer own an ipod touch 5th gen altho i have an iphone 6 but thinking on subscribing to Apple Music just for those times when i want to listen to an album that i've yet to decide whether i will buy the CD or not and the ipod touch came to mind if i will repurchase even a preowned one, will Apple Music work on that device? the subscription would only be the single non family subscription thing that i will be getting just under my same Apple ID that i use across my other Apple devices..has anyone tried using it on an itouch5 ? sorry if i dont know much about this hope i wont be barbecued for the question..appreciate any response.. :) anyway if it does not work then i still have my iphone and if Apple Music app comes to android i could play it with my nwZX1..thanks again..

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #201 of 360
hello, pardon if this is a noob question..i no longer own an ipod touch 5th gen altho i have an iphone 6 but thinking on subscribing to Apple Music just for those times when i want to listen to an album that i've yet to decide whether i will buy the CD or not and the ipod touch came to mind if i will repurchase even a preowned one, will Apple Music work on that device? the subscription would only be the single non family subscription thing that i will be getting just under my same Apple ID that i use across my other Apple devices..has anyone tried using it on an itouch5 ? sorry if i dont know much about this hope i wont be barbecued for the question..appreciate any response..
smily_headphones1.gif
anyway if it does not work then i still have my iphone and if Apple Music app comes to android i could play it with my nwZX1..thanks again..

Yes, it will work with the new Apple Music service.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2934744/apple-music-faq-the-ins-and-outs-of-apples-new-streaming-music-service.html

What devices can I use this on? Apple Music is available for all iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch models that are running iOS 8.4. It’s also available on the Mac and PC via iTunes 12.2. It will be coming to the Apple TV and Android phones this fall. It also pairs with the Apple Watch.

The iPod Touch (5th Generation) will currently support up to iOS 9.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch_(5th_generation)

It was confirmed on June 8th, 2015 at Apple's WWDC that the iPod Touch 5th generation would support iOS 9.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #203 of 360
http://mashable.com/2015/07/01/itunes-icloud-music-library-bug/

Key line IMO:

"Apple has not yet publicly acknowledged the problem or responded to our request for comment."

Despite being a longtime Apple user, my 2011 Macbook pro(which didn`t work for 2 years due to a longtime KNOWN problem) was only acknowledged and fixed this spring. Until that time: "Apple has not yet publicly acknowledged the problem or responded to our request for comment." I was among thousands of others with this problem.

Also, i admit to being a curmudgeonly grumpy old person, but I`m still not happy with Apple`s rejection of FLAC or APE compatibility.

My feeling is due to Apple`s market power and brand allure they can overshadow and quash viable alternative`s to their product.
Often on purpose.

EDIT: Do you really want a company who thinks Beats headphones are the ones to represent and push upon the masses
are the proper folks to decide what the majority of music listeners should listen to??

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #204 of 360
I'm a Spotify Premium subscriber, and did a lot of listening today on Apple Music through my iPhone 6 -> Centrance HiFi M8 -> Sennheiser PXC 450 (my at-work headphones). I listened to Beats 1 radio a bunch (heard Zane Lowe's set this morning with interview with Eminem) and tried out a few hours of their "For You" playlist.

Quick impressions so far. Quality sounded good to me, about the same as Spotify 320kbps (very unscientifically, as much of my listening is done as background music). Aside from quality, I think Apple Music has far to go in their "For You" playlists (wasn't too impressed with the variety of music they suggested for me), and of course the various "moods" playlists on Spotify far outnumber anything that Apple Music has thus far (though Spotify has many years headstart). Will see how Apple Music improves over next 3 months, but if it stays relatively the same, will probably stick with Spotify.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #205 of 360
I admit I didn't read this entire thread, so maybe I'm repeating old news, but did anybody else catch this? Looks like Apple snuck DRM back as well as disabling home sharing on iOS. Worth a read:
http://www.cultofmac.com/327936/icloud-music-library-drm/

Still waiting for my system and library to restore from backup from this debacle.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #206 of 360
Jul 2, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #207 of 360
I admit I didn't read this entire thread, so maybe I'm repeating old news, but did anybody else catch this? Looks like Apple snuck DRM back as well as disabling home sharing on iOS. Worth a read:
http://www.cultofmac.com/327936/icloud-music-library-drm/

Still waiting for my system and library to restore from backup from this debacle.
so music purchased from itunes will be unplayable on other devices? good thing i only got a few tracks from Apple and backed them up on a hard drive..bad move if it's true..

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #208 of 360
And this is how uninformed "information" spreads.

Go to the article that he linked, and read the first page of comments.  There are a couple of guys there that go into a discussion about DRM and ownership.  Its quite informative.  I can see why Apple is doing what it is doing.  Short version is - keep an archive of your original rips in case you ever unsubscribe. I have no isue with what they are doing.  You don't own the digital form for streaming - but you do still own any original copies you have (if you have the physical medium).

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #209 of 360
so music purchased from itunes will be unplayable on other devices? good thing i only got a few tracks from Apple and backed them up on a hard drive..bad move if it's true..

How did you jump from streaming to itunes purchases being affected?

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #210 of 360

I started doing research after I noticed protected files in my library. Initially, the whole move to iCloud music library caused total chaos. Chunks, literally chunks of my iTunes library was either duplicated or missing. Pulling down missing tracks from the iTunes cloud resulted in DRM protected files.

Now, it should be known that I am an absolute magnet for Apple Schiit storms, so the intial chaos could be situational, or simply due to my constant fiddling before seeing results. Apple replacing my own tracks with DRM tracks, however, I can confirm. I am soooo happy I keep hourly backups. Only 5 hours more to go to see if everything is back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back