Apple MacBook vs. Dell XPS M1210 (vs. Apple BlackBook)
Aug 11, 2006 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AudreyLavoie

New Head-Fier
Just like the title says... I've never actually seen the M1210 in person. How is the build quality? That's what I'm most concerned with.

Also, what exactly (besides the colour and finish) are the differences between the black and white MacBook? I think I heard something about the black having more metal parts... can someone confirm this? Apple lists both as having the same weight, though...

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 11
There is no difference in construction between the different colored MacBooks. Both machines are plastic. They're very nice machines though.

It's interesting that you're comparing the two machines. The XPS M1210 has a 12.1 inch widescreen, which puts it almost in subnotebook territory (except for the weight which is not in the subnotebook class).

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
There is no difference in construction between the different colored MacBooks. Both machines are plastic. They're very nice machines though.

It's interesting that you're comparing the two machines. The XPS M1210 has a 12.1 inch widescreen, which puts it almost in subnotebook territory (except for the weight which is not in the subnotebook class).

I would compare both screens, my 14.1 inch looks gigantic compared to the apple 13 inch, and the 12 inch looks micro compared to the 13 inch imo.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Sure you can compare the hardware, but it doesn't matter if the macbook just runs circles around anything else in the price range. If you hate the software, it just won't matter.

For a start, the macbook can run OsX, Windows, and Linux. The Dell can run Windows and Linux.

Figure out which suits your needs better and THEN look at the hardware of notebooks running said software.

FWIW, my top of the line Dell Inspiron (at the time anyway, huge beast with two optical drives) was a peice of junk. The keyboard was noisy and had a bad tactile feedback, the screen had 8 dead pixels and they wouldn't take it back, the screen was likewise very dim, and it ran uber-hot.

My cheapie-ibook has been a dream to run, as was my cheapie Sharp before I had the Dell. Now known issues with the Macbook include mooing, whining, uneven lighting of the monitor, and premature discoloration of the case, and running hot.

And oh yeah, with any of these notebooks running integrated graphics, get more ram.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, I saw pictures of the M1210 beside the MacBook. Funny thing is, the M1210 is almost *not* ultraportable, since it's quite thick... however, that's a plus in my book, because it'll be in my (laptop) backpack most of the time.

Ah... yeah, I just found out that they're the same construction. So, what justifies the price difference...?

EDIT: Yeah, I've got 2Gb of RAM lined up for either, and I'll pull the existing 100Gb 7200RPM drive from my current Inspiron 5100.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyLavoie
Yeah, I saw pictures of the M1210 beside the MacBook. Funny thing is, the M1210 is almost *not* ultraportable, since it's quite thick... however, that's a plus in my book, because it'll be in my (laptop) backpack most of the time.

I think these are the pictures you might be referring to:
http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...Dell+XPS+M1210

Quote:

Ah... yeah, I just found out that they're the same construction. So, what justifies the price difference...?

Just to be clear in case anyone assumes that the Apple machine must be the more expensive one, in this case it's the M1210 that's the more expensive machine, at least the base model, and that's for a slower processor in the Dell. Be sure to hunt around for coupons if you decide to go Dell.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 11
The black macbook is the upgraded model with faster operating system and super drive standard. The white one covers two models both with the slower operating systems but one has a superdrive. I wouldn't buy a Dell if they paid me so I will vote for the Macbook.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 11
I'd vote for the macbook also just based from my experience, even knowing those ever present "known issues." But just be aware that nothing's perfect, and it could cook an egg, moos, whines, turns orange, send it back.
wink.gif

However, if you don't care to learn OsX and don't think you'll like it, then it won't make a hill a beans of difference which one is better. Yes, I know, you can dual-boot, but it'll always be the second Os.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Oh, I KNOW OSX. I think I've settled on the MacBook. OSX is much more pleasant to work with, for daily tasks. Plus, I can always boot Unix or XP for my programming needs.

Hmm... The egg-cooker might be useful. No hot plates allowed at my dorm.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 11
I recently bought a black MacBook. It's a very nice machine although I did pay around $150 just for the black colour as an equally-equipped white Macbook would have cost that much less. However, the white MacBook's shiny, plastic white just isn't suited for certain occasions, so that was a pretty clever marketing move by Apple.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
The black macbook is the upgraded model with faster operating system and super drive standard. The white one covers two models both with the slower operating systems but one has a superdrive. I wouldn't buy a Dell if they paid me so I will vote for the Macbook.

The only difference is the color; no more, no less. If you upgrade the white Macbook to the same specs, there is still a $100+ price gap that is unexplainable.

Yay for OS X! Stay on the sane side, Audrey!

If you want an egg-cooker... you're looking for an old-school Powerbook
tongue.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back