Apple lossless vs. Lame MP3 @ 256
Oct 16, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #181 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
mkozlows says:

Money has nothing to do with my post!

The bigger the file the more spinning and reading - Mechanical Noises. Do you think that it is "possible" that any advantage acquired by ripping in Lossless is offset by the added mechanics of acquiring, storing, accessing and processing larger formats.

Mechanics, not money.

you're off the deep end

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #182 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Why rip lossless at all? You own the cds you're ripping to put on your iPod, right? A cd stands a better chance of lasting for 40 years than a lossless rip on a hard drive will. Hard drive space on an iPod is more expensive (and more limited) than a nickle.

See ya
Steve

there is a point to this, unless of course you backup everything, however then your hdd cost doubles again

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #188 of 210
pds6, wth is your freaking problem? You can't just take random quotes to back your crap up. Yes they were said...ive gone through it all, but in the end, guess what? I learned a few things...guess what? Im still learning. Now maybe you could learn something, by learning when to shut up. You're just trying to take the glory and "become the center of attention" by exploiting me.

And notice how everyone just ignored you? I learned when to shut up....and now its your turn. I dropped that argument, so you do the freaking same. As for the codec debate, it has become over some time less of an argument and more of a helpful information thread, until you posted this crap. Just shutup and drop it.

Oct 18, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #189 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by FA22RaptorF22
pds6, wth is your freaking problem? You can't just take random quotes to back your crap up. Yes they were said...ive gone through it all, but in the end, guess what? I learned a few things...guess what? Im still learning. Now maybe you could learn something, by learning when to shut up. You're just trying to take the glory and "become the center of attention" by exploiting me.

And notice how everyone just ignored you? I learned when to shut up....and now its your turn. I dropped that argument, so you do the freaking same. As for the codec debate, it has become over some time less of an argument and more of a helpful information thread, until you posted this crap. Just shutup and drop it.

it was probably wrong of pds6 to EXPOSE you (rather than "exploit" you)...and quotes taken out of context are not very helpful, i admit.

BUT, nowhere in the last page or two did i see you post anything that said you were mistaken or your ideas/opinions have changed, etc. for anyone (still) reading this thread they would probably still get the impression that you believe all the things you posted about hearing this or that.

may i politely suggest that if your goal is to keep learning about equipment and codecs and all things audio-related (as we all are), you might want to take a somewhat different approach to posting your thoughts and opinions. clearly, the path you have so far chosen has not endeared yourself to many members here...can't we all just get along?
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #190 of 210
ya i would like to get along....maybe i was a bit dumb at first....well maybe alot...but im trying to get over that and would like to learn, so if we could get over this as you said that would be nice. thanks.

Oct 18, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #191 of 210
Quote:

ya i would like to get along....maybe i was a bit dumb at first....well maybe alot...but im trying to get over that and would like to learn, so if we could get over this as you said that would be nice. thanks.

done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #192 of 210
OK, is not an ALAC file simply unzipped and buffered back to a WAV file? One which identically matches the original file? If not, then when I zip compress a file at work am I in danger of the recipient opening a file which is not the same as the original? Will business come to a crashing halt because zip or file compression software is unreliable, resulting in corrupt data and possibly damaged corporate bottom lines??

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #193 of 210
Well, I don't know about the ALAC...but as for the .zip, i believe that say winzip, just compresses the file and the receiver unzipps or decompresses it in such a way that the file remains unchanged. Ive never had any issues with that. I think that the only way that they could get a corrupt file is if they got an error or something during the decompression. I feel pretty safe zipping and unzipping stuff tho.

Good question.

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #194 of 210
Quote:

Well, I don't know about the ALAC...but as for the .zip, i believe that say winzip, just compresses the file and the receiver unzipps or decompresses it in such a way that the file remains unchanged. Ive never had any issues with that. I think that the only way that they could get a corrupt file is if they got an error or something during the decompression. I feel pretty safe zipping and unzipping stuff tho.

Good question.

That is EXACTLY how ALAC works. That is what lossless means - the compression and decompression involves NO LOSS. The output file is 100% identical to the input file. Again, I have proven this for Apple Lossless, as it preserves the HDCD subcode that is buried in the Least Significant Bit. ALAC files are 100% bit-perfect to the original WAV file or CD that they are imported from. 100%.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #195 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
That is EXACTLY how ALAC works. That is what lossless means - the compression and decompression involves NO LOSS. The output file is 100% identical to the input file. Again, I have proven this for Apple Lossless, as it preserves the HDCD subcode that is buried in the Least Significant Bit. ALAC files are 100% bit-perfect to the original WAV file or CD that they are imported from. 100%.

but i swear i can tell the difference between the two
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back