Apple Lossless better than WAVE?
Jul 15, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by larry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have high suspect in this too. It is because that time at the shop there I do not have iTunes or EAC on my netbook.
biggrin.gif

I'd also go with WMP being a crappy ripper and NOT bit-perfect which is why your WAV files didn't sound as good as his ALAC.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #19 of 21
Both file formats are lossless, they should sound the same. And maybe you just miss heard the guy at the store (or he just wanted to make a sale), ALAC is better than wave, size wise. If you do not have a lot of storage space for the files (since ALAC will compress the files, smaller file size than wave but same info) you can fit more ALAC files on a hard drive than wave files. Also EAC should be used to get the wave/flac files from a cd.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #20 of 21
Thanks everyone for chipping in all the information about this issue I have. After reading the information you people given me, I have come to a solution to test out whether Apple Lossless is closer to CD quality then WAVE. I will be using my netbook as the source instead of using the shop owner netbook as Apple Lossless and my as WAVE. For the ripping part I will be using iTunes to rip my CD into Apple Lossless and WAVE. I do not use EAC for the ripping is because EAC BY RIGHT do not support Apple Lossless encoding. For the playback part I will be using iTunes also. I do not use Foobar2000 is because Foobar2000 BY RIGHT do not support Apple Lossless playback. I will try to get everything as "default" as possible without using any plug-in or addon feature for ripping and playback to have a very pure test on this two audio file format. The equipment as my netbook USB port will remain unchange through out the test. Fair enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back