Apple Lightning Dongle
Feb 27, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #91 of 106
Seems like Apple really goes the extra mile, especially regarding audio quality. I am listening to music far too often on the integrated speakers on my Macbook Pro (M1 Pro model) when I am too lazy or caught up in work to fiddle with my headphone setup. I would never do that on any of my non-Apple laptops, they just sound terrible.

It even drives high-impedance headphone out of it’s internal headphone jack so well to an extent you need to spend some dollar to have a better dedicated DAC/amplifier. Check out these measurements.
Really?!? The MacBook Pro speakers are OK at best (I have an M1).
For what they are, especially compared to generic windows system’s, they make a pleasant noise but they are very far from a high fidelity sound.
I guess we all hear different things from our systems but I certainly don’t enjoy listening to the sound direct from the computer.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #92 of 106
Really?!? The MacBook Pro speakers are OK at best (I have an M1).
For what they are, especially compared to generic windows system’s, they make a pleasant noise but they are very far from a high fidelity sound.
I guess we all hear different things from our systems but I certainly don’t enjoy listening to the sound direct from the computer.
Don’t get me wrong, they are not the nicest speakers to listen to music on, but compared to other laptops I had (non Apple) they are much better. Of course I prefer my dedicated speaker/headphone systems. Besides very good measurable performance on integrated DACs and headphone amplification check out one more thing I meant when I said they go the extra mile.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #93 of 106
The EU changed it’s regulations a couple of years or so ago to limit output power, as various scientific studies indicated the incidence of hearing damage was increasing in younger people due to IEMs being played too loud. It shouldn’t generally be a problem, unless you have difficult to drive IEMs or you like hearing damage :)

G

That’s really interesting! The question is how to recognise which is which? I mean without any testing or cutting open.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #94 of 106
The question is how to recognise which is which?
You mean between the EU and US versions? I believe they have a different part number (although I’m not certain) but I don’t know what those part numbers are. I’m sure some searching on Google will eventually get you the numbers. Obviously, if you’re in the EU you can only legally be sold the EU version. You would have to order from the US and have it shipped from there but that might not be easy, your order would probably be refused or fulfilled by an EU distributor.

G

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #95 of 106
Yes. I expect the US Applestore sells an American stuff, the Japanese - Japanese stuff, and European Applestores - European stuff. What about the UK which after the Brexit is not a part of EU anymore?

But to be honest I was rather thinking about a secondary market.
And even they have different part numbers they look identical don’t they?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #96 of 106
Yes, they look the same, I think it’s just different firmware. I would think the UK would have the EU version, can’t be sure though.

G

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #97 of 106
I had fiio BTR5 and Topping d10s & Atom AMP+ stack for my Shure SRH1540 (46ohm, 99db/mW) and I liked both.
Then I came across Apple type C to 3.5mm dongle and was blown away by its value for the price, it sounded ok, not quite on the level of stack or even fiio, but for its size and price it was good.
But couple of days ago I received new topping dx1, cheap, USB powered DAC/AMP combo which showed me what my headphones are really capable of ))
I do not know how topping did this trick but I can't stop to listen to them third day in a row.
And now I really hear how congested and meatless apple dongle sound was (or even d10s + atom amp), it was clean for sure, but it was sterile as hell.
Maybe they will do better with some dark headphones.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #99 of 106
Just got out of curiosity the Apple (USB C) Dongle, first clear thing: big loss in volume power, at least 4 or 5 dB.
Heating up more than usual? The same on a different USB port? Also check a different headphones.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #100 of 106
Heating up more than usual? The same on a different USB port? Also check a different headphones.
Not heating up, it was just a 2 second test, different headphones will evidently give different output power but the general loss in power is clear here, regarding sound signature didn't notice anything but will check a bit more later.

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #101 of 106
Just got out of curiosity the Apple (USB C) Dongle, first clear thing: big loss in volume power, at least 4 or 5 dB.
Loss in power compared to what? The US version is only capable of producing up to 1V, the EU version only 0.5V. Neither one will get as loud as an amp of any sort, and the EU one will be 6dB lower than the US version.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #102 of 106
I do not know how topping did this trick but I can't stop to listen to them third day in a row.
And now I really hear how congested and meatless apple dongle sound was (or even d10s + atom amp), it was clean for sure, but it was sterile as hell.
Apple’s dongle has distortion, noise and crosstalk well below audibility, zero phase issues and an audibly ruler flat frequency response. So, the dongle cannot sound congested/meatless, it just means your HPs are hard to drive, while Apple’s dongle is designed to drive IEMs and easy to drive HPs. The trick Topping are using is therefore simple, it’s just outputting the higher voltage/power that your HPs apparently require.
different headphones will evidently give different output power
Very much so. Your HPs power requirement will be given by it’s Sensitivity measurement.

G

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #103 of 106
Listening to my Focal Elear with Clear pads on an Apple lightning dongle right now. I never gave this pairing a chance and I don’t know why. I don’t listen loudly so 50% is doing these just fine.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #104 of 106
The Apple Lightning dongle is also doing great with my new Aful Performer 8. It gets them to my desired listening volume at only 15-25% depending on the recording.

I was near a Best Buy this morning so I grabbed a 2nd dongle so I can just leave one attached to my P8, and one on my Elear with Clear pads. I’m trying to simplify things and just go back to basics a bit and try to just enjoy the music. Not worry about cables including balanced or not, EQ, different DAC filters, or different sources altogether.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #105 of 106
I've used the Lightning dongle with my Oppo PM-1s connected to an iPhone for a couple of years now. It works great with plenty of punch. I don't have too many other sources to be able to say how much audio performance I've left on the table, but for a smartphone-powered portable solution, this has always felt quite good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back