Apple Lightening to 3.5mm sound differences ?
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

doublejay

New Head-Fier
Recently upgrade means I'm lumbered with an adaptor. It seems to give off a slightly different signature through my IEMs (BGVP DMG).

I can't quite pin down the difference, maybe less bright ? IDK

Anyone report similar findings ? I have an after market connector - not gen apple.

JJ

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 5
What you have is a tiny DAC and headphone amp in the cable/adapter now. So it will affect the sound. Fiio also makes one for Apple, for example. I’d be surprised if they all did sound the same.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for this - I can't imagine a DAC in the cable is as good as the on-device dac ? And even if it is, my no brand aftermarket cable isn't going to have lost sleep over the quality of his DAC in the cable...

I'll look in to the Fiio one - thanks.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Recently upgrade means I'm lumbered with an adapter. It seems to give off a slightly different signature through my IEMs (BGVP DMG).
I can't quite pin down the difference, maybe less bright ? IDK
Anyone report similar findings ? I have an after market connector - not gen apple.JJ
It looks like your BGVP DMG has changeable parts?
Assuming the Lightening jack only output a digital (no analog) signal.
The Lightening to 3.5mm (analog) output jack adapter would need a built in DAC function and output a little voltage, for driving headphones or at least IEMs.
Maybe try different brands of Lightening to analog output (headphone) jack adapters?

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for this - I can't imagine a DAC in the cable is as good as the on-device dac ? And even if it is, my no brand aftermarket cable isn't going to have lost sleep over the quality of his DAC in the cable...

I'll look in to the Fiio one - thanks.
Now a days they can make a DAC chip that is 32-bit/384K, but the Lightening to analog output adapters, would not really need a DAC chip that is more then 16-bit/44.1K or 16-bit/48K processing.
CD-audio disks (music disks) are only 16-bit/44.1K and I'm sure 16-bit/44.1k is fine for most streaming services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back