Apple iPod Radio Remote Appreciation Thread
Dec 31, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not going to disagree with you, yet AFAIK inside the remote is a DAC and a little cap... Maybe a bit off base there, and I don't really want to open mine up, but I remember there being a conversation about that a while back...

Maybe someone who doesn't like theirs can open it up
very_evil_smiley.gif

Either way, the Radio Remote doesn't seem to take a digital signal from the iPod unit into the remote.

You can test this by slowly pulling one side of the plug gingerly back and forth so that you're trying to only unplug one side, until you've removed enough of one side of the plug to break contact with one of the two channels. I've managed to make it only sound in one of the two channels - i.e. sound only coming through in one ear. Another friend who bought the remote has also managed to do the same. If it was taking a digital signal from the iPod to the Radio Remote, it shouldn't be possible to make it only sound in one ear (I very much doubt the two channels are being pumped as two separate digital signals separately over the cable).

Does anyone still have the photo of the innards of the remote? Or the webpage with instructions on how to easily remove the cover? That might be the easiest way to find out once and for all, whether the remote contains a DAC.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 22
I agree that the remote does not have a DAC. I don't see how it could, given that the dock connector provides a line level output.

I also prefer the sound through the remote. It's not a huge difference, but more pleasing to me. I'm not sure if the remote's output is higher in quality, but it is definitely more pleasing to my ears.

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 22
I was wondering if you can use the radio remote as just a remote, while using a line-out dock connector?

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by .The Outsider. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if you can use the radio remote as just a remote, while using a line-out dock connector?

the radio remote occupies the Dock connector, so no (unless you use a mini-mini IC to run thru the headphone out...).

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by highlighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still dont really understand how the sq is better.

It's probably the impedance. For example, the ER-4P and ER-4S are exactly the same IEM except for their impedance (the ER-4S having a higher impedance than the 4P) and people discuss their not-so-subtle sonic differences all of the time. I'd wager that the same effect is happening with the iPod remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back