Apple iPod Family: A discussion of best sound quality
Dec 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 28
Lol I just bought a 5.5g off Ebay
popcorn.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An iMod goes a long way. I wouldn't say it's even close to a HifiMan HM-801 or something, but it holds it own pretty well.

Could you make a detailed compairing between IMOD and HIFIMAN? thanks.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 28
That would be hard since I don't have a Hifiman to compare to. The only thing you can really do is compare the specs.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 28
I find the current 160GB Classic has a better line out than a 5th Gen Video. I am really impressed with DAC in this model. The 5th gen sounds a bit weird and overly coloured/warm/dark to me. I used a basic entry level LOD, a Pico amp and HD-600s in this comparison

I really like the headphone out of the 2nd Gen Touch. I am not sure about the Classic's headphone out or the Touch's line out yet.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 28
I am now curious about the direct correlation between iPod models using an audio chipset from Wolfson Microelectronics and those with excellent sound quality. We know that the following models used the corresponding Wolfson chips:

iPod with scroll wheel (1G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8721
iPod with touch wheel (2G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8721
iPod with dock connector (3G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8731L
iPod with Click Wheel, iPod photo; iPod with color display (4G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8975
iPod with video and iPod Enhanced (5G and 5.5G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8758
iPod Touch (1G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM87588G
iPhone
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8758
iPod nano (1G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8975G
iPod mini (1G)
Wolfson Microelectronics WM8731L

The 80GB version of the iPod with Video Enhanced 5.5G is highly regarded because it has 64MB of RAM where as all other iPods noted above have 32MB. I suspect there is little appreciable difference between the chips. Can someone comment about the how the technical differences in the headphone-out path might affect the sound quality between the 4G iPod and the 5.5G? I would prefer feedback that is technically based instead of dreamy descriptions of sound quality.

Best,
iDesign

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 28
Wow. This is a great outline. Bookmarked.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mabus627 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John11f, hes answering what the OP asked for

I think he got that part - it was an attempt at humour. I'll be in Bangkok in two weeks - great in short bursts, but living there wouldn't be my idea of heaven - I guess you take what you can get online. Mai Pen Rai.

Staying OT in a Head-Fi thread isnt easy at the best of times, but it seems pretty much impossible in any thread where the all-conquering 5.5GB iPod is mentioned : it then becomes a debate over whether the Wolfson DAC is the best thing 'eva'.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #24 of 28
Quick question. What's the output of the Wolfson DAC in say the 4th or 5th gen iPod. 16bit/48khz? I have a feeling it's higher than that though.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #26 of 28
estreeter;6238984 said:
I think he got that part - it was an attempt at humour. I'll be in Bangkok in two weeks - great in short bursts, but living there wouldn't be my idea of heaven - I guess you take what you can get online. Mai Pen Rai.

you'd be surprised what this city could give. btw, i'm not originally
from here. and you think where you live is heaven? racking up 1,600 posts in 6 months hhmmm...

i just felt that the guy should try to sell stuff in the marketplace. i define that as hijacking, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 28
No John, where I live is most definitely NOT heaven, and it saddens me that we have 1/10th the population of Bangkok and traffic that is well on its way to being the 'gridlock everyday' that BKK often suffers. I walked 20 blocks of Sukhumvit past completely stationary traffic last February, including people stuck in non-airconditioned buses and I'm sure you have your own horror stories. The Thais are an incredibly resilient people, but no-one can live in the middle of that sort of pollution and not be impacted by it - interesting times ahead. Granted, there is a lot more to BKK than the Farang ghettoes, but I'm still happy to make a beeline for Hua Hin and leave the madhouse behind me.

At the risk of being contradicted, most of my posts have been OT : in this instance, I completely misinterpreted yours and I apologise. The majority of my posts have been racked up in this forum, arguing the toss with zealots who simply wont accept that Apple moved to a non-Wolfson DAC : you are correct in assuming that means too much time spent behind a computer when I should be out enjoying the fresh air.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #28 of 28
The same would apply to me as well. I've joined later and yet I'm already creeping up to estreeter. I should log off now.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back