Apple iPad external DAC adapter
Sep 15, 2019 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dcime

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone with a late model iPad or iPhone please tell me what adapter I need from Apple to bypass the internal DAC to ifi xDSD DAC , Dragonfly Red or any USB DAC? I think the camera connection kit usb3.0 is what I need? It has an additional lightning connector output to add power to the iPad too.
This one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...s-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid-----product-MK0W2AM/A

Or is it just a more simple Apple to USB adapter like this: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...s-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid-----product-MD821AM/A

Thank you kindly to everyone for your guidance. :o2smile:
I need help please :warning:

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 11
The simpler one is probably best - just note that the xDSD has a recessed USB port, so the larger end of the adapter will need to squeeze inside it. The iFi OTG kits all seem to work well.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 11
If you have a lightning connector then yes you need the camera connector I have a 7 Plus and 4 th and 5 th gen iPads and they all work with that connector and Dragonfly Red and a Chord Mojo with a usb to micro usb cable. I tried a Meenova lightening to micro usb to the Mojo and no luck so will not recommend them as it was a waste of $18 as it didn’t even try to work so to me they are untrustworthy.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 11
If you have a lightning connector then yes you need the camera connector I have a 7 Plus and 4 th and 5 th gen iPads and they all work with that connector and Dragonfly Red and a Chord Mojo with a usb to micro usb cable. I tried a Meenova lightening to micro usb to the Mojo and no luck so will not recommend them as it was a waste of $18 as it didn’t even try to work so to me they are untrustworthy.
Can you please link me to the adapter you reccomended? I am here in the USA with you. Thank you again.Also I don't understand why you needed a micro USB cable? :smile_phones:

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Can you please link me to the adapter you reccomended? I am here in the USA with you. Thank you again.Also I don't understand why you needed a micro USB cable? :smile_phones:
If you want a connector for a Dragonfly Red then the Apple Camera connector. The Micro usb was for a Chord Mojo.

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 11
C53D3EF3-B4CA-4FDB-9100-1683A2539E6A.jpeg

This.

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Sep 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Thank you! Wow that hookup looks great. I too love my Dragonfly Red. All this help from you is so very much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Yes the Red is pretty good I actually use it as a dac mostly but still is not bad as a amp either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back