Apple In-Ear's over Others
Dec 9, 2008 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Yoloni

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at the Apple In Ear's and the review on CNET sounds nice, so I was thinking about buying one. I don't have a dual driver headphones, so I thought I would like one. Right now, I have Denon AH-C551's and UE Super.fi 3's. Does anyone think that the new Apple In Ear's would be better than the 2 IEM's that I have?

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 24
I am very skeptical about this Apple earphone, dual driver or not. For these money I'd rather buy a good single-driver IEM.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 24
Reviews I've heard say that these are no better than Shure SE110 (lowest Shure end) for pure sound. In comparison to your phones 110's are probably equivalent to sf3's, so I'd probably stick with the ones you have now. I'm sure these apple IEM's are better than their old standard buds, but that's not much of an accomplishment...

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are brand spanking new. Wait a few weeks for reviews here and feel more confident with your decision either way.

X2

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 24
Yea seeing as you have pretty solid earphones already, I don't know if the Apple ones are able to cut it. Not saying that they won't but that I genuinely don't know. But if you can use the shortcut and mic features cause you have one of the newest ipods or iphone, then I think it's worth a shot.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 24
Honestly, I'd consider the Zagg Z.Buds or Nuforce NE-7M.

Z.Buds: ZAGG | Z.buds | Earbuds, In-ear Headphones, Earphones
Nuforce NE-7M: Amazon.com: NuForce NE-7M Stereo Earphones / Headset (iPhone Compatible): Electronics

I haven't heard the NE-7M yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good for the money (~$50).

I have heard the Z.Buds and from my brief trial they were worth well over $100 given the sound quality (Rivals any other IEM in the $100-$175 range easily). The sound is most notable for a strong warm midrange and solid bass that doesn't drown out other frequencies. The highs are there, they just aren't what made me like the sound of the Z.Buds. In addition, the microphone capabilities and feature-packed nylon cord only sweeten the deal at $65.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the Z.Buds and from my brief trial they were worth well over $100 given the sound quality (Rivals any other IEM in the $100-$175 range easily). The sound is most notable for a strong warm midrange and solid bass that doesn't drown out other frequencies. The highs are there, they just aren't what made me like the sound of the Z.Buds. In addition, the microphone capabilities and feature-packed nylon cord only sweeten the deal at $65.

First time I hear about these. They look cool and sound like a deal for a low-end everyday earphones.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 24
It's too bad I don't have one of the newer iPod's. I only have a 1st gen iPod touch. Are those dual driver IEM's? May be I should just wait and get a custom when I grow up and get a job.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 24
agreed, but thats because the cheapest dual driver MSRP out there is the $179 Q Jays prior to theses $79 offering if I'm not mistaken.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has dual driver and mic and remote. also, people are getting hung up on the fact it is apple. if it were another company, who knows: the reviews out now could be: um2 killer @ 79$. everyone buy. best evar.

Quite agree. Nuforce released thier first ever IEM and no one seemed skeptical. But because it is Apple there seems to be a back lash without any data. All that gets repeated is one Gizmodo review. All the other positive reviews get washed under the rug.

I am skeptical even of all the rave reviews some earphones like the JVC FX66/Marshmallows are getting here on Head-Fi. To be honest they are muddy and bassy. The original Apple IEM were much better. I had those the cable broke and then bought the JVC FX66 and thought they sounded like crap. Overtime I got used to the signature of the JVC.

Then I got the UE SF3s and can't stand to listen to the JVCs anymore.

Sound is personal not matter how many people review something you have to decide what you like.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 24
I agree with the last poster. But it is true that your ears will adjust to a sound signature. Once they do, its hard to leave. For example, it took me a long time before i could appreciate the ER6i, but after I got used to them, only a triple driver IEM made me not miss their clarity and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back