Apple In Ear headphones
May 2, 2004 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ezra2323

Head-Fier
Are Apple's in-ear headphones any better than the iPod provided ear buds? In terms of both comfort and sound quality.

Note, I am not asking the following:

Are they a good deal? Every Apple accessory is dramatically over-priced. I know they are not a good deal.
Are they as good as Sure or Sennheiser headphones? I know they are not. I have MX 400s already. Not interested in $150 Sure headphones at the moment. No Sure or Sennheiser comparisons needed.

Thanks for any responses or directions to aonther thread wher ethis is covered.

May 2, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 11
I hear the buds actually sound better, because the In-Ears fall out a lot and generally don't fit well.
I also heard that if you use the tips from Sony EX71s they're pretty good, though.

May 2, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 11
I would stick with your Sennheiser buds. I'm not sure if you have an iPod, but at iPodlounge's forum, you can hear some horror stories about being mugged for your iPod. The thieves ususally id the target by looking for the distinctive white wires. But if anything, Sennheiser still has more Head-fi street cred than the Apples.

May 2, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 11
The ones that are all pointy and have the interchangable fittings SUCK. For real. A lot. A guy I work with bought them and tried to sell them around the office here for a week and NOBODY that put them in would give him $30 for them. He ended up eBaying them.

May 2, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the responses. I have no plans to buy them but wanted to hear if I was missing out on anything. Sounds like a resounding "no".

Wish Sennheiser would make white ear buds (not to be worn in seedy areas per the earlier post about muggings).

May 2, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Oh they are the most horrible things I've ever put into my ears!
tongue.gif
They're like stock earbuds, only they go into your ear. That's the sound. No, I'd stick with the mx500, or even the stock ipod earbuds if you have to.

May 3, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

what is ur actual budget? if you give us a budget we might be able to offer you better cans.

$50. Prefer ear buds for this purpose (working out and traveling). Prefer white to match the iPod.

I have high end phones for home use. MX400s for portable use right now.

May 3, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezra2323
$50. Prefer ear buds for this purpose (working out and traveling). Prefer white to match the iPod.

I have high end phones for home use. MX400s for portable use right now.

The in-ears aren't earbuds, though.
What high end phones for home, anyway?
For 50 all I can suggest is modded white Sony EX71s, though.

May 4, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezra2323
Are Apple's in-ear headphones any better than the iPod provided ear buds? In terms of both comfort and sound quality.

To me: Yes, they are, way better than the stock buds. Sadly, that does not mean too much. I used to like them quite a bit (even wrote a short review), but after going back to Etys... and then back to those... no, I am spoiled, and I admit it. Too harsh, too incoherent, and too loud in a way. Excellent soundstage & plasticity though, plus they do fit my ears. The end came when I tried them with my first Chesky recording, and they made it sound like... I lack the words... like FM, maybe. I have never listened to the MX, but I guess if you have them already and do not need further isolation, you have no need for Apple's in-ears.

Anyone tried AudioTechnica buds lately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back