Apple in-ear/EX71 mod
Sep 17, 2004 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
Well its not really a mod, but I tried what some others had suggested and that is to put the ex71 tips on the Apple in-ear buds. You get a really terrific earphone for $40. Not boomy bass like the ex71, not shrill highs either. Pretty clear all around sound with good bass. Better than e2c. I find the sound very similar to KSC-35 and very very comfortable. This is coming from someone who has tried all universal IEM's and could never get a good comfortable fit. Ety's 4's and 6's, E5, e2, e3 you name em. Anyone interested in an inexpensive in ear phone should really try this. I tried the Apple supplied tips and could not get any to provide a seal, however the ex71 plug right in and seal up. The isolation is probably a little less than the ex71 so I would refer to them more as good sounding earbuds that stay in place and are very comfy with KSC-35 sound. Has anyone else tried this?

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Hey mchurgin,

You may have read my post elsewhere on this. I definately prefer the sound of this setup over just about anything. As you said, similar to KSC-35 and also to my Senn PX100. They are very full and clear, not at all like the noise that comes out of the Sony. Very good for certain music, especially when you need some good bass.

I had the E3C and now have ER6i, but so far, I still prefer the modified Apple's for most listening. (For most people, the earpieces supplied with the Apples are completely useless--all form, NO Function, stupid shape). Its been awhile since I had the Sharp MD-33 4 pole but to my recollection, the sound is very similar to this model. But the modified Apple's are much better than the MD-33 because they have a perfect cable length. (The MD-33 requires the converter cable which is ridiculously long.).

I also like the "Apple 71" setup because they are so easy to pop in and out. My 6i's require alot of fiddling to get them set. And unfortunately, the included earpieces are not large enough for my apparently jumbo earholes. The grey silicon tips from the Shure E3C fit on them and they stick in my ear like a suction cup, and sound great when I'm still but I seem to get some faint but annoying popping sounds if I scrunch up my face. I use them at the gym so I do a lot of "face scrunching." Outside the gym they are awesome. I am gonna go to earphone store this week and see if they have any larger `earpieces that happen to fit the ER6i's.

I also recommend this option for anyone who has Sony EX71 earpieces to retrofit on the Apples. It will be the best $40 you ever spend.

Sep 17, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 16
Even the normal Apple earbuds (not in-ear) can be made to sound pretty darn good. Instead of just putting in the earbuds the normal way, angle them flush to your ear canal and wedge them in. You can get a pretty good seal this way, and the difference is phenomenal. Compared to the normal way, you get probably 2-3x the bass quantity and quality and everything from bass up improves in tonality, detail.

In fact, this setup has a lot more/better bass than my Ety 4P, a lot less harsh highs, and just a bit less overall detail than Ety. A lot better balanced sound. The downside is the "wedge" won't stay that way if you move around.

Sep 17, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 16
I was searching google or froogle last night and i ran into these adaptor things for the sennheiser MX500 style earbuds (the style you say fit better sideways) anyway these adaptors fit that style and it cones the tip like the EX71 or the apple style. They looked nifty but i cant find the page now.

They were about $15. wich isnt a deal but im sure there are other places around that have em. I cant recal the name of em now. Its a really common style earbud that comes with alot of players now. Cell phones have a little earbud like this. Those adaptors matched up with some high end buds like this might sound really good.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 16
you can get replacements through sony's site.
I tried this mod, and i have to agree that with the ex71 tips the seal is easy to achieve and the sounds is pretty decent. I like then for the gym cause they never come out of my ears, and for snowboarding they workout quite well. I think these canal phones got a bad rap due to them having crappy tips. Overall though they are worth the small amount they cost. Alot of people gave bad reviews cause the seal was bad. Too bad.
I mean these will never sound as good as my new ms2 fatboy but man they are decent for portable use.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Anyone know if this works with the EX51 tips? Just got a pair yesterday, and was about to bring them back to Best Buy as I'm finding the buds too sibilant. Thought they were great at first, but....you know. Anyway, if the tips are the same on the 51 vs. 71 I may just keep 'em. Can take my iPod buds out of the seal and use 'em. Never have because I plug in the Etys or Westones, but now want some cheapos for mowing the grass, etc.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
I was searching google or froogle last night and i ran into these adaptor things for the sennheiser MX500 style earbuds (the style you say fit better sideways) anyway these adaptors fit that style and it cones the tip like the EX71 or the apple style. They looked nifty but i cant find the page now.

They were about $15. wich isnt a deal but im sure there are other places around that have em. I cant recal the name of em now. Its a really common style earbud that comes with alot of players now. Cell phones have a little earbud like this. Those adaptors matched up with some high end buds like this might sound really good.

You thinking of slicsounds?

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 16
anyone want to send me a pair of tips?
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikerman
Aren't the 51 and 71 tips the same? Thought they were.

I thought theyre identical except for the color, 51 =black 71 = gray.

This is a great mod, especially if youre like me and already have EX51s gathering dust somewhere. Ive seen folks hock their OEM apple buds on ebay for about the same price as a KSC75.

Garrett

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 16
I have the slicsound extensions and i had to cut them down a bit so they could go all the way in. No isolation to speak of and they are a bit of a chore to figure out the right size for a tight fit. Prolly better off with the easier insert and moderate isolation of the ex71.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 16
Would those replacement tips work for ATH-CM7Ti? I am in dire need of something to make my pair stay in place securely.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 16
So you guys are saying I could bust out the Apple IEMs and get some replacement EX-series tips and end up with a canal phone as good as the MD33s!?
eek.gif
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif

If these sound better than my MX450s or KSC75s I'm sold
biggrin.gif
And I love to give money to Apple :p :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back