Apple IEM
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #91 of 117
I think I might know why Gizmodo gave the SE110s a better review than than Apples. I just tried putting the medium sleeves on (I usually wear the smallest ones) and a noticeable difference can be felt in the bass because of how far they actually go into my ear. Don't see how they can say that the SE110 are superior in every aspect. For the brief moment that I tried the SE110s, I thought they were crap. The Apple headphones definitely have a better sound stage and more presence.

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #92 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I might know why Gizmodo gave the SE110s a better review than than Apples. I just tried putting the medium sleeves on (I usually wear the smallest ones) and a noticeable difference can be felt in the bass because of how far they actually go into my ear. Don't see how they can say that the SE110 are superior in every aspect. For the brief moment that I tried the SE110s, I thought they were crap. The Apple headphones definitely have a better sound stage and more presence.

Thanks for the update. What else would you compare them to? I am more interested in the UE SF3 comparison because that is what I would upgrade from. :)

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #93 of 117
Thanks for the impressions ajmiarka, they seems to fulfill the expectations (mine at least)
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #94 of 117
Ok here is my official comparison to my denon c700s

Highs: (im assuming this is like the guitar cymbals) Highs are a little more apparent in the apple buds than the denons. I can hear a tad more detail in the apple buds. However, the denons feel more 'surround sound' and the apple buds are more constricted (which i dont like )

Mids: (im assuming this is the voice) mids are kinda the same. i think the denons have more balance mids. yet the apple buds are 'clearer'. again the aplle buds have a more restricted sound where as the denons have a more surround sound feel. kinda hard to explain, but the mids are crisper on the apple buds.

Lows; there is almost no bass on the apple buds. its there but it doesnt really thump. its just a sound, not really a feeling. the denons have a nice thump to them and better lows. ALOT better. the denons's lows kinda ressonate whereas the apple buds's lows just thump and thats it

overall the apple buds will appeal more to people who listen to music without drums or any lows tbh. you just dont get the feeling of the music with the apple buds

the denons are more balanced imo and

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #95 of 117
Thanks for your impressions too mate. I have c751 and love 'em so this review kinda makes me wanna try them even more. I'll see tomorrow if they're available at my local store. They're just too tempting at that price
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #96 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions too mate. I have c751 and love 'em so this review kinda makes me wanna try them even more. I'll see tomorrow if they're available at my local store. They're just too tempting at that price
biggrin.gif

i mean worst case scenario you go there, buy them, take them home and try them out, and then return them if you dont like them

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #97 of 117
Exactly. Based on some reviews so far and my expectations, they could be easily the best price/quality product Apple ever made(ok, ipods are nice too but i'm counting on these iems).

BTW, did you tried eqing them for more bass and do they distort? Just asking, i'm still taking them tomorrow if they have them
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #98 of 117
the main reason the denon will thump physically is they move more air: they are dynammics. all dynammics move much more air than any armature out there. i have never heard an armature that has any tangible bass, only sound. for that reason, i am not in the least deterred by your findings: rather i am more excited!

separation is usually done a bit better in armatures like the apple iem but stage is usually physically wider too in dynammics: again, I am excited to finally hear the apple iem!

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #99 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have never heard an armature that has any tangible bass, only sound.

I can feel the thumping with my TF10s in my ears at about 1/2 volume on my iPhone, if I'm listening to a good electronic track.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #100 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the main reason the denon will thump physically is they move more air: they are dynammics. all dynammics move much more air than any armature out there. i have never heard an armature that has any tangible bass, only sound. for that reason, i am not in the least deterred by your findings: rather i am more excited!

separation is usually done a bit better in armatures like the apple iem but stage is usually physically wider too in dynammics: again, I am excited to finally hear the apple iem!

The only armature I've heard that could do any amount of thumping is the Image X10, and that's only with some heavy EQ on a PC. The more popular "basshead" IEMs are usually all dynamically-driven on the low end or overall (5 EB/Atrio), so I completely agree. I have yet to hear an armature that really pushes excellent bass (at least in amount).

Makes me wonder what the Westone 3 would've been like if the low end driver had been dynamic instead of armature.....ehh, that's another thread entirely.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

Exactly. Based on some reviews so far and my expectations, they could be easily the best price/quality product Apple ever made(ok, ipods are nice too but i'm counting on these iems).

BTW, did you tried eqing them for more bass and do they distort? Just asking, i'm still taking them tomorrow if they have them
biggrin.gif

ya the bass boost eq distorts the lows on my 3g iphone. so i used the rock setting which kinda worked but not really

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #102 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's quite surprising, I'm pretty sure the Denon's are supposed to have pretty good detail.
From the couple of hours I listened to mine before they were taken away for christmas, they were too bright and piercing, although they hadn't yet burned in.

Yeah, the C700 has really harsh and overexaggerated highs before you burn them in, but it doesn't take very long. I'd say maybe 24 hours or so and the highs get under control.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #103 of 117
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I did try to EQ to Rock and Bass Booster. The Rock EQ seems to have little effect, while the Bass Booster started to distort things. At least to my ears. It did provide more bass, but as the expense of hearing things clearer.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #104 of 117
if you have heard 'thump' and 'felt' the bass in an armature, you have not felt anything! on the most bassy, there is a bit of movement but until you use something like sfpro 5eb or atrio m5 or songy ex85 for instance, you have no idea what you are missing! dyanmmics are just kings for bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back