Apple iBuds
Nov 11, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #32 of 60
This is a nice thread. I actually never used them (2G and 3G iPod). But when I received my 5G iPod I thought what the heck and I just plugged them in.

Since the 2G iPod I have upgraded my earbuds and headphones over time... now I own a HP890 and a Shure E4. I must say I think the standard earbuds have a nice sound. If you compare the price with the performance than they are really good. You'll have to use the black foamies though, otherwise it will sound a lot worse.

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #33 of 60
hehe thanks for the backup doobooloo, guess I wasn't the only one surprised... I suspect that Apple might have just upgraded them, but kept the looks, if so many think they are absolute crap :>

be sure to report your findings with the e888, I was considering those also, but now with the surprise of the iBuds, I'm holding off.

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman
hehe thanks for the backup doobooloo, guess I wasn't the only one surprised... I suspect that Apple might have just upgraded them, but kept the looks, if so many think they are absolute crap :>

be sure to report your findings with the e888, I was considering those also, but now with the surprise of the iBuds, I'm holding off.

I have a pair of e888's due to arrive any day now. I'll let you know how they compare. I don't think the stock buds will put up much competition though...

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #35 of 60
Personally i feel the i-buds need to be properly inserted before an decent SQ can be heard...if the seal is not there...well..it kinda suck. i kinda see a lot of ppl inserting them the wrong way.
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
With the foamies on, the sound signature is very similar to my UE-10 Pros. Not too sure if this is a good thing for the iPod earbuds or a very bad thing for my UE-10 Pros, but nevertheless, they both sound very good.

I am confused!
blink.gif
I am planning to spend $270 on the Westone UM2, but I can have Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro sound from stock iBuds? Am I wasting my money or what?

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #39 of 60
I gotta go with the "pro ibud" crowd on this one. I was expecting crap before listening to the buds on the ipod. So much so that I lined up the Senn's that came with my Karma (MX300's) as the nano is black so the black senns matched the nano better.
The mx300's sound like garbage compared to the ibuds IMHO. No comparison.

The ibuds can't match my shure e3's or my grado sr80's by any stretch but they are not bad at all.

Cheers,
LIP

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
I gotta go with the "pro ibud" crowd on this one. I was expecting crap before listening to the buds on the ipod. So much so that I lined up the Senn's that came with my Karma (MX300's) as the nano is black so the black senns matched the nano better.
The mx300's sound like garbage compared to the ibuds IMHO. No comparison.

The ibuds can't match my shure e3's or my grado sr80's by any stretch but they are not bad at all.

Cheers,
LIP

Yup! They're definately better from my memory compared to most other earbuds I've tried. Of course they're not high end but for on-the-go I don't need high end anyway.

You and I and a few lucky others must have just the right ear shape for the iBuds to sound nice or something. Because the way they sound to me I can't see how anyone can say they sound like crap.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #42 of 60
Just took a listen to my ibuds through ipod line out amped with my hornet. The characteristics include big bloated one note bass I commonly hear in low fi ear buds and headphones, mids that sound recessed, and treble that goes nowhere. No extension for bass or treble either. Pretty much crap. If I was forced to listen to these only, I would just quit listening to music all together. I've never actually gotten sick while listening to music from any headphone or earbud, the ibuds sounded so bad I literally wanted to puke. I don't understand how anybody could enjoy music through these. On one side they don't offer a fun sound neither an analytical sound, pretty much doesn't offer anything. The ibuds feel like they were designed to listen to hip hop as it's only only thing I can think of that fits the buds characteristics. It sure as hell doesnt sound good with whatever I listen to. All I can say is "bleh."

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #43 of 60
I think the new earphones that are shipping now must be better or something, cuz I hear a lot of mid and treble extension and no uncontrolled bass out of my nano.
biggrin.gif
Apple might have switched the driver vendor?

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

I think the new earphones that are shipping now must be better or something, cuz I hear a lot of mid and treble extension and no uncontrolled bass out of my nano.
biggrin.gif

I agree with you. The ibuds sound pretty decent. I had the ibuds and the mx400 together at one point, and it was no contest - ibuds all the way. The mx550 was better, but considering that the ibuds were free, they are pretty nice throw-ins.

Nov 13, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Also, don't forget that apple has a new sound processing chip inside the newer ipods (nano, 5G video).
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back