Apple DRM Cracked!
Oct 24, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Sounds slightly illegal, at least from Apple's perspective. Do I hear a lawsuit rolling along?

I don't believe it should be illegal but i'm quite sure Apple will think so.
Check this out for further info.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061024/...te/ipod_hack_2
I do believe if you purchase an iTunes song you should be able to play it on any device not just Ipods. This will allow you to do that.

Enjoy.
Do!

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
I don't believe it should be illegal but i'm quite sure Apple will think so.
Check this out for further info.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061024/...te/ipod_hack_2
I do believe if you purchase an iTunes song you should be able to play it on any device not just Ipods. This will allow you to do that.

Enjoy.
Do!

Except for the fact that iTunes users agree (in the site license, when one clicks "I agree") not to engage in the conduct in question. It is a simple question of contract law. Either download iTunes and live up to one's contractual obligations, or acquire the music from another source.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Except for the fact that iTunes users agree (in the site license, when one clicks "I agree") not to engage in the conduct in question. It is a simple question of contract law. Either download iTunes and live up to one's contractual obligations, or acquire the music from another source.

qft

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 16
Real did the same thing. All Apple did was update their firmware and the music bought from Real no longer played on the iPod... people need to learn from the past. Anyone who buys that music is just wasting thier money...however buying drmed music is a waste anyway...

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 16
Good for him, although it is probably a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, but the Act is really, really stupid and anti-consumer, and arguabally unConstitutional, so hopefully it won't apply to this guy.

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
Good for him, although it is probably a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, but the Act is really, really stupid and anti-consumer, and arguabally unConstitutional, so hopefully it won't apply to this guy.

And the DMCA isn't applicable to the vast majority of people that buy music.

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade

Well he is in Norway so an American does not apply to him - not any more than Norwegian law is relevant to a person living in the US!

DRM is pointless. I think people should just boycott all sales of DRM music. End of story.

Even he says:
Quote:

"The iTunes music store was getting so popular, and I was kind of fed up that people were accepting that DRM."

So I would prefer he put his energy into convincing people not to buy the crap DRM music in the first place.

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman

If someone buys all their music from itunes and then changes to another portable player they should have the right to be able to use the music they have purchased on any new player. They have in effect purchased the content according to UK law and it is not for Apple to tell the consumer what they can do with that content. The same is true when looking at other companies like Sony and its use of DRM.

DRM from these companies actually breaks existing UK consumer protection legislation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4617176.stm

A person is not contractually bound when the other party has vitiated that contract by breaking the law. It can be argued that the DRM used by Apple in its license agreement vitiates any contract.

Should the guy who hacked Apple's software face a law suit- probably. But should Apple face a law suit themselves for breaking UK consumer protection laws- definitely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back