Apple Airport Express - Streaming Spdif
Jan 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you peruse this thread, you can see that the older version can have dropouts with lossless compression because of the increased bandwidth requirements, especially if the network is otherwise occupied
tongue.gif

In theory, yes, but not so in practice.

I have both in my house, and I never experienced any dropouts. I use lossless for every music I play.

On top of this, you can increase the network buffer if that concerns you.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have both in my house, and I never experienced any dropouts. I use lossless for every music I play.

On top of this, you can increase the network buffer if that concerns you.

Are you using an Airport? If so, which one?

I actually experienced dropouts and it was resolved by using a compressed library, I am not making this up or theorizing.

I only use the Express for travel these days, but I will look into the network buffer settings next time I boot up the Airport Administrator utility, if that is what you are using.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using an Airport? If so, which one?

I actually experienced dropouts and it was resolved by using a compressed library, I am not making this up or theorizing.

I only use the Express for travel these days, but I will look into the network buffer settings next time I boot up the Airport Administrator utility, if that is what you are using.

Yes. I owned both old and newer model. One in living room, one in downstairs.

Neither of them have any issue with lossless format. Notice that any music higher than 16/44.1 are downsampled by iTuned when t converts to apple format.

Have you tried the buffer setting? Mine is set to mid.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Then your practice is different from mine.
Cause I experience dropouts (a few) with my AirPort Express (802.11g one) when my network is under heavy load. Buffer settings make no difference over here. Currently set to Large.

I am running a 802.11g WLAN, using an AirPort Extreme from early 2004.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then your practice is different from mine.
Cause I experience dropouts (a few) with my AirPort Express (802.11g one) when my network is under heavy load. Buffer settings make no difference over here. Currently set to Large.

I am running a 802.11g WLAN, using an AirPort Extreme from early 2004.

Does your Airport Extreme even supports new N protocol? If not, having a new airport express does nothing for you.

I have Netgear which supports duel band, and it supports N protocol along with a/b/g.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Does your Airport Extreme even supports new N protocol? If not, having a new airport express does nothing for you.

It does not support 801.11n, but that is not the point here.
The point is that it is not just in theory but also practice that the "older version can have dropouts with lossless compression".

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does not support 801.11n, but that is not the point here.
The point is that it is not just in theory but also practice that the "older version can have dropouts with lossless compression".

Interesting. I don't know why I am not getting any dropouts. Maybe because my wireless router supports dual band?

I have 4 computers at home.

1 Mac Pro, 1 iMac, PC File Server, 1 HTPC, 2 AE (old and new), and I use heavily on both wired and wireless, and I never had a single dropout.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Interesting. I don't know why I am not getting any dropouts. . . . I use heavily on both wired and wireless, and I never had a single dropout.

Yeah, I wish I knew why you weren't getting dropouts too. I get them far more frequently than I would like, and I know that I am not alone in this. It's kind of offensive to imply that anyone who has problems is simply having them in "theory." Uh, come on up to the house and listen to my system. I tried dozens of network configurations/buffer settings and I have not been able to eliminate them entirely.

I'm pretty sure that my issue is interference from the surrounding wi-fi networks at my neighbor's houses (I can pick up three in my house, even though the neighbors are at least 100' away on all sides). This is not a "theoretical" problem.

The new hardware performs significantly better, though not perfectly, in my set-up. Yes, I have tried manually setting the channels on both bands-- that doesn't work either. No channel is dropout free.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Yes. I owned both old and newer model. One in living room, one in downstairs.

Neither of them have any issue with lossless format. Notice that any music higher than 16/44.1 are downsampled by iTuned when t converts to apple format.

Have you tried the buffer setting? Mine is set to mid.

What I meant was, are you using your Express(es) with another Airport? And from what I've read since, the answer is no, you are using a dual-band router for your network that is not an Airport.

I have the first (G) Airport Extreme, the round one, that could be it right there. I don't think it's dual band.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 27
I am using Netgear Wireles Router with dual band, and I own both old and new AE. One supports N and the old one supports only a/b/g. I have no dropouts on both models even when playing simultaneously.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back