Apple Airport Express... Optical? How?
Jul 20, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #16 of 21
I would guess that the Airport Express uses the same technology as their laptops for wireless. I set all of my music on my pc(lossless) and stream it over to my laptop without any problems so I would guess that the Airport Express shouldn't have any problems. I am sure the more technical members of the board will do a bit-perfect test, it is probably just a matter of time.

Jul 21, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
I would guess that the Airport Express uses the same technology as their laptops for wireless. I set all of my music on my pc(lossless) and stream it over to my laptop without any problems so I would guess that the Airport Express shouldn't have any problems. I am sure the more technical members of the board will do a bit-perfect test, it is probably just a matter of time.

yeah, it's probably the same, but i think apple's stream is a little different in that the stream is encrypted and it's also the only one so far that allows playback of copy-protected AAC files purchased on the itunes music store. i may be wrong about this, but i don't think the other third-party streaming devices allow playback of copy-protected AACs. anyone want to correct me on this?

Jul 22, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
yeah, it's probably the same, but i think apple's stream is a little different in that the stream is encrypted and it's also the only one so far that allows playback of copy-protected AAC files purchased on the itunes music store. i may be wrong about this, but i don't think the other third-party streaming devices allow playback of copy-protected AACs. anyone want to correct me on this?

That's correct as far as I can tell.

Aug 19, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 21
Can someone tell me what mini to toslink adaptors will work with the airport express? Any male mini to male toslink digital cable? I would rather not pay for apple's kit if I don't have to. Parts express has THIS cheap looking coupler solution, I have also seen corded adaptors like THIS one.

help!!!

Aug 19, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 21
I went to Radio Shack and picked up a toslink cable the can be converted on either end to a mini. It was about $10. Your other choice, if you have a toslink cable, is to buy a toslink to mini converter. I believe Radio Shack sells those as well.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #21 of 21
The airport express is indeed capable of bit-perfect output. There are several iTunes preferences that need to be set so that iTunes doesn't mess with the signal before sending it to the AX, that can be found here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93870

'DTS decoding can only work if the digital DTS stream passes through iTunes completely unmodified.'.....mmm completely unmodified...Like the sound of that!

The airport express also makes an excellent transport IMO, you will pay many thousands to get a dedicated cd transport to put out such a low jitter signal. The only gripe people may have is with the optical output instead of a coaxial option. I just use a very nice optical toslink connection with a toslink to mini adapter and it sounds pretty damn sweet to my ears..besides, according to stereophile's measurements, an optical feed from a computer into the DAC section of the $6K trivista SACD had less recorded jitter than the dedicated transport section of the same machine!! As I use the Trivista DAC, it sounds just like the ticket to me!!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back