Apple Airport Express -> i2s/coax -> Buffalo 24 or USB -> i2s -> Buffalo 24 or both?
Jun 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tranhieu

Member of the Trade: DIY Amp Builder - AKA kytuphicanh
Caution: Incomplete Sales
I just had this thought after having a flick through pages about the AX
Now I have gathered all the modules needed for a B24, what I need is just a usb -> i2s module and I'm waiting for a solution from diyaudio. Some people suggest I mod the musiland but I prefer the other dedicated board.
Yet the idea about the AX is quite tempting. Basically I will get an AX, take the board out, tap the i2s signal and feed it to the B24. However the last thing I consider is that whether the audio quality is degraded after being streamed through the Wifi.
Or I will might as well build a b24 with both the AX and the usb/i2s modules inside? But I dont know how to build a switch between the 2 (if it's possible?)
The idea of going wireless is so...ideal!
Or is there any other solution? Any opinion? :D

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 6
my laptop doesnt have optical out~~

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 6
I think he means taking optical from the Airport express.  The audio out jack doubles as a mini TOSlink.

Using the optical out (digital), you bypass the DAC function of the airport express, and get to use a better DAC.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 6
See the twisted pear audio forums, there is some info on there suggesting that the airport express optical out has a lot of jitter and the buffalo may not stay locked on the signal.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I think he means taking optical from the Airport express.  The audio out jack doubles as a mini TOSlink.

Using the optical out (digital), you bypass the DAC function of the airport express, and get to use a better DAC.

Yeah that's my intention, tapping the signal out before it goes through the dac of the airport express and feed it to the b24

Quote:
See the twisted pear audio forums, there is some info on there suggesting that the airport express optical out has a lot of jitter and the buffalo may not stay locked on the signal.

that's strange... is this just the case of the buffalo? As I've seen another person succeeded modding the airport express and used it as a wireless transport for his dac (not a buffalo though) and they both sounded pretty good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back