Apple a Thief? Who would'a guessed
Sep 23, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lewis sounds similar to me but i have become a fan of apple mp3 players as of last october... indeed!

"Indeed", indeed, Shigzeo! I was given a Touch in August. Email, New York Times, eBooks. Oh and music with good SQ through my Triple-Fi's. It's my new favourite electronic toy.

I find it amusing that MS are still trying to build a Zune to compete with the iPod Video - unsuccessfully. Good Toshiba hardware - the problem is the software; it's MS after all. (As I type this in Vista - the very definition of a pig wearing lipstick).

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #17 of 52
I would not!
..and am not even sure they are..

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I want to know is: what happened to all of the 4GB Nanos that weren't shipped out? I certainly don't think Foxconn will be asked to crack them all open to add another 4 gigs of memory to thousands of iPods. I kind of hope they'll show up for cheap someplace.
biggrin.gif

Well they are available in Singapore for S$198... which will make it about US$140. I wouldn't say that it is cheap...

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...maybe it's a little payback for Microsoft stealing Apple's OS back in the day, but whatever the reason, MS has it in their minds Apple did a baddy.

16GB iPod Nano 4G Copied From Zune | PMP Today

I don't see matching capacity as stealing. I also don't see the form factor as stealing since the form factor is similar to the original Nanos which existed before the Zunes. If anything, Microsoft is the one who copied.

As for Microsoft stealing Apple's OS, the Mac OS didn't originate with Apple. They got it from Xerox who's Star system was out 3 years before Mac. What Apple did was adapt it to a platform that every one could use. The Star was huge and cost around $15K, if I remember correctly.

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #20 of 52
The addition of the longer screen is blatantly stealing, as the original Nanos had nothing of the sort.

I love how if MS copies they're "stealing" but if Apple copies from MS it's "just the fanboys talking".

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The addition of the longer screen is blatantly stealing, as the original Nanos had nothing of the sort.

I love how if MS copies they're "stealing" but if Apple copies from MS it's "just the fanboys talking".

If you notice in my post, I didn't accuse either of stealing. I'm not familiar with either the Zune or Nano. I need a large capacity hard drive player and gapless playback. That leaves me with one choice, iPod. As soon as any other player is 160 GB and plays AAC gapless, I'll consider it. I'm not an Apple fan boy. The iPod is far from my perfect player. It's just the only one that meets my minimum requirements.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 52
how does the addition of a long screen mean copy? how about rectangular shape with a circle? longer screen has been part of ipod nano since the nano 3g. they just moved it in a different orientation.

the nano remains in a shape that apple pioneered along with the same control scheme, an all aluminium enclosure that has been only apple since 2003 or so with the mini. the only thing that has changed from apple's original design is and oval shape from top down (who are doing that?) and the screen orientation.

it makes no sense to say apple copied microsoft when the nano idea and all its copies have been done well by every company including microsoft.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moshel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel the poster is either a microsoft fanboy or an Apple hater

Or maybe you are just the opposite. MS copied the Apple UI, no doubt. But Apple stole its UI, lock, stock, and barrel, from Xerox. Steve Jobs has eyes to match his ego, and he obviously liked what he saw on his visit to PARC.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 52
When I first saw this player, my thought was that Apple was paying homage to the old design of the Mini. It doesn't look like a Zune copy to me.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #25 of 52
I actually had a chance to play around with a Xerox Star at the only Comdex I ever went to. When the Mac came out the next year, it sure looked familiar.

IMO Apple's strength since the original Mac has been industrial design. They've been able to make things that look cool and different.

I have to add, I just got my 160 GB iPod yesterday and loaded it overnight. It looks nice, but software and control wise, it's a step down from the 80GB older model that I have. I don't like the split screen, the way album art is displayed, or how poorly the click wheel works. The click wheel is especially bad compared to the previous version. I think it's more of a hardware problem than a software problem.

I don't know if they've changed any of this with the latest 120GB version

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Swings and roundabouts dude. It will always appear that way until you click on another link which shows the exact opposite. Fanboys are everywhere, we are no longer safe! Conspiracy theories are everywhere, corporations are evil, corporations are great etc etc

Seriously though, people take things too far a lot of the time - Apple was caught with it's pants down when it wasn't pushing the capacity envelope and thats it. High five Microsoft and leave it at that.

And the pig wearing lipstick happens to be running very well on my laptop. I must have a very fit pig. At least it'll eat anything you throw at it
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 52
Macintosh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

After hearing of the pioneering GUI technology being developed at Xerox PARC, Jobs had negotiated a visit to see the Xerox Alto computer and Smalltalk development tools in exchange for Apple stock options. The Lisa and Macintosh user interfaces were partially influenced by technology seen at Xerox PARC and were combined with the Macintosh group's own ideas.

Ahem.. They didn't steal. Xerox was just idiotic back then.
smily_headphones1.gif

And thinking Apple stole based on the screen size is a major stretch. The blog link posted by the OP is completely random. Not worth anything.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 52
dvessel;4769197 said:
[Ahem.. They didn't steal. Xerox was just idiotic back then.
smily_headphones1.gif

O.K., I'll buy that, particularly the part about Xerox being managed by idiots. I still think there is this sense among Mac fanatics that Apple created everything good in the world, including mother's milk, sliced bread, organic farm products, etc. Not the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And thinking Apple stole based on the screen size is a major stretch. The blog link posted by the OP is completely random. Not worth anything.

That I completely agree with.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #29 of 52
DrBenway;4769213 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Ahem.. They didn't steal. Xerox was just idiotic back then.
smily_headphones1.gif

O.K., I'll buy that, particularly the part about Xerox being managed by idiots. I still think there is this sense among Mac fanatics that Apple created everything good in the world, including mother's milk, sliced bread, organic farm products, etc. Not the case.

That I completely agree with.

I don't know about the organic farm products, but the new ipods are supposed to be very "green" friendly.
biggrin.gif
I mean when your done with your nano just grind it up and put it on your cereal , MMMM.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #30 of 52
Ihatepopupads;4769519 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know about the organic farm products, but the new ipods are supposed to be very "green" friendly.
biggrin.gif
I mean when your done with your nano just grind it up and put it on your cereal , MMMM.

Yumm...selenium. It's pretty ridiculous to describe an essentially disposable product as "green" in any sense. I read recently that according to one study, the average MP3 player is kept by the average user for 8 months.

Think of the landfills created by the lack of a replaceable battery alone.

I mean, I completely understand the need to move product (how else to pay for back-dated compensation?) but Apple is about as green as Mars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back