Apple - 21.5" iMac® - Intel Core i5 (2.3GHz) - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model MMQA2LL/A question.
Jan 20, 2019 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ACDOAN

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought a new entry level IMac for one reason only that is Apple Imac doesn't require the drivers to be installed. I ran into some issues and I cannot figure it out. So, please lead me to a right direction.

I have been using CDP and sereval mid tier DAC/ AMP and I am very happy about what I heard. I also have been using the TEAC DS-H01 docking and the I Pure 20 that connect to the DAC /AMP combo or separated DAC and AMP. Mainly to listen to Spotify Premium in my spare time.

The EL DAC and EL AMP combo is one of my favorite among other systems I have. I use the FourPlay " HeartLeft" as my reference to testing the SQ of different DAC or AMP I have. The sound of the EL DAC/ EL AMP is neutral, lively and punchy in my set up via either optical or coaxial connection. Having said that, via the USB port of the IMac, the SQ changes drastically . The sound stage is wider but the V shape is killing me plus there is no dynamic at all. I was about to return the Imac but the stiff 15 percent restocking fee makes me think twice.

So I struggled for a couple days to switch the DAC/ AMP from the El Dac/ EL amp to the Aune X1s without expecting any difference in the SQ but to my surprise the Aune X1s SQ via the USB connection is quite pleasing. The Aune X1s via USB connection sounds very close to the EL DAC/ EL AMP combo via the optical or coaxial to my CDP or to the Teac DS- H01 or to the Pure I 20 docking station. The Aune X1s is not quite as dynamic as the EL DAC/ EL AMP in that set up but very close.
I believe in the system synergy but the Imac should send the digital encoding the same way to either the EL DAC or the Dac inside the Aune X1s.

My question is why my El Dac/ El amp combo sounds so great with redbook player or even with the Teac DSH01 or the Pure I 20 by using just the Iphone 4s . Via the I Mac USB connection, the El DAC and EL AMp fails miserable. The midrange is muddy and sound far away, the high frequency is harsh and the low frequency is bloating.

What goes wrong here?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 6
I bought a new entry level IMac for one reason only that is Apple Imac doesn't require the drivers to be installed. I ran into some issues and I cannot figure it out. So, please lead me to a right direction.

I have been using CDP and sereval mid tier DAC/ AMP and I am very happy about what I heard. I also have been using the TEAC DS-H01 docking and the I Pure 20 that connect to the DAC /AMP combo or separated DAC and AMP. Mainly to listen to Spotify Premium in my spare time.

The EL DAC and EL AMP combo is one of my favorite among other systems I have. I use the FourPlay " HeartLeft" as my reference to testing the SQ of different DAC or AMP I have. The sound of the EL DAC/ EL AMP is neutral, lively and punchy in my set up via either optical or coaxial connection. Having said that, via the USB port of the IMac, the SQ changes drastically . The sound stage is wider but the V shape is killing me plus there is no dynamic at all. I was about to return the Imac but the stiff 15 percent restocking fee makes me think twice.

So I struggled for a couple days to switch the DAC/ AMP from the El Dac/ EL amp to the Aune X1s without expecting any difference in the SQ but to my surprise the Aune X1s SQ via the USB connection is quite pleasing. The Aune X1s via USB connection sounds very close to the EL DAC/ EL AMP combo via the optical or coaxial to my CDP or to the Teac DS- H01 or to the Pure I 20 docking station. The Aune X1s is not quite as dynamic as the EL DAC/ EL AMP in that set up but very close.
I believe in the system synergy but the Imac should send the digital encoding the same way to either the EL DAC or the Dac inside the Aune X1s.

My question is why my El Dac/ El amp combo sounds so great with redbook player or even with the Teac DSH01 or the Pure I 20 by using just the Iphone 4s . Via the I Mac USB connection, the El DAC and EL AMp fails miserable. The midrange is muddy and sound far away, the high frequency is harsh and the low frequency is bloating.

What goes wrong here?
1) Question is which music software are you using on iMac. Different software reacts differently with the macOs kernel, cpu etc. For the High End version try Audirvana Plus or much cheaper Swinsian.

2) More probable reason: many dacs don't have sufficient filtering on their USB input. When you connect them to battery powered device like iPhone or iPad, they sound better because there is no current leaking into the input. When you connect them to the ac/dc powered device, they react exactly like you describe: lifeless and with the recessed mids. The easiest cure is to try a powered usb hub between. You can read more about it in the top post: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...sb-hub-between-their-computer-and-dac.533234/

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 6
1) Question is which music software are you using on iMac. Different software reacts differently with the macOs kernel, cpu etc. For the High End version try Audirvana Plus or much cheaper Swinsian.

2) More probable reason: many dacs don't have sufficient filtering on their USB input. When you connect them to battery powered device like iPhone or iPad, they sound better because there is no current leaking into the input. When you connect them to the ac/dc powered device, they react exactly like you describe: lifeless and with the recessed mids. The easiest cure is to try a powered usb hub between. You can read more about it in the top post: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...sb-hub-between-their-computer-and-dac.533234/

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back