Apple “High-End” Wireless Over-Ear Headphones (By AirPods/HomePod Team)
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
Apple is reportedly working on “high-end” over-ear wireless headphones with an “all-new design” “as convenient as AirPods.”

Apple has spent the past few years developing a team of the finest engineers from top universities and elite audio brands, and their recent efforts have been extremely well-received in the audiophile community (relative to their segment). AirPods have become the most revolutionary and successful audio product in recent years, while HomePod has brought beamforming technology to an impeccably-measured speaker at a consumer price point. Over-ear headphones could be the perfect vehicle to showcase the talent and potential of Apple’s audio engineering team.

Apple’s first self-branded foray into over-ear headphones is expected to be released as early as this fall.

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/25/kgi-apple-over-ear-headphones/

It may seem early to start a thread on the product, but considering the impact of AirPods the headphone industry should watch Apple’s next moves very closely. This thread will be updated as more information is released.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 5
My personal conjecture is that these are cloud headphones.

That is, they will be what is expected — they will do noise cancelling, they will get Apple's next-gen Bluetooth chip and will support Hey Siri, they will compete in the QC35 / WH-1000XM2 space, and so on. But in addition to that, I think the special sauce will be that they will also connect to Wi-Fi when available, and will then stream direct from Apple Music & iCloud Music Library, without using your phone/iPad/device as a Bluetooth intermediary.

Sort of like a stereo HomePod on your head, in other words.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Looking forward to see what Tomlinson Holman does with these...

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Likely to be unveiled June 22nd at WWDC. Rumors point to these having interchangeable materials, such as ear pads designed for fitness.

Listening to music on AirPods again after using Powerbeats Pro exclusively for the past few months is a little bit refreshing since I don’t have to deal with the ear hooks. They really don’t sound bad either, AirPods have a decently bright sound with just enough clarity and fullness to reproduce music in a way that a lot of mainstream musicians apparently find adequate because it feels like almost everyone from The Rolling Stones to Taylor Swift is using them.

Powerbeats Pro do have a more balanced sound that I can’t find any true complaints from professional critics about. I’m considering adding a HomePod to my setup as well purely for the audio quality. (I’ve been underwhelmed by the performance of other wireless speakers in the ~ $299 price range.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back