Appendicitis
Jul 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PANGES

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else had this?

This appears to have lead to the worst several days of my life. To make it short and sweet, I feel like poo.. It seems to have started with a never ending stomach ache, which feels like someone is stabbing a sharp stick in your gut and you can't get them to remove it. I thought that was the tough part... that is until after the surgery to have the appendix removed. Can't move for quite a while, and the only entertainment you have is typing a thread on head-fi to complain.... one key stroke at a time... using only one finger, because it's too painful to move any more than I am now. lol. 

Just felt like sharing, just in case you guys are having a bad day, you can cheer up knowing yours is probably much more awesome than mine. And to add to the damn feelings of the day, my Sennheiser IE8's appear to have gone missing and now I'm stuck listening to my stock ipod ear buds. I don't know what's worse, having to listen to these stupid ibuds, or feeling like poo... but really, what's the difference, right?

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 13
I had an appendectomy several years ago. Fortunately, the inflamed appendix was diagnosed before it could make me feel extremely bad.

The surgery was a bitch though since I couldn't stand up for 2-3 days afterwards. Especially when they explicitly instruct you to stand up already by that time so that your organs don't "get stuck" by healing in the position they're in when you're lying down. It just felt like my innards were gonna fall down/out, move around and I'd rip my stiches if I moved around too much.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 13
Was your perforated? I caught mine before it ruptured so it was removed endoscopically, just 3 very small incisions. Sounds like you may not have been so fortunate. Rest up and feel better! On the bright side, now you don't have to worry about your appendix going south on you for the rest of your life. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 13
My best advice is to get up and move around. If you can't move around, at least sit up in a chair. But walking is best.

Yeah, you'll feel horrible and probably curse me for giving you said advice, but it will make the healing process and recovery faster. So go forth and suffer, and you'll feel better for it!
ph34r.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 13
I had to have an emergency appendectomy (already ruptured) during my freshman year in highschool.  Good thing was that it happened during a long break so I didn't miss any classes.  Bad thing was that it was during Christmas (yay).  Also, because it was an emergency operation, they just cut straight down my belly to look around because the CT scan was inconclusive...  so now I have a rather large scar on my belly.   lost so much muscle mass.  One piece of advice is to try and keep your muscles toned now, but dont strain yourself.  Just be aware that being in bed for 1-2 weeks can really atrophy your muscles.  Also, rubbing some cocoa butter will help heal the scar :).  Best of luck man.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Was your perforated? I caught mine before it ruptured so it was removed endoscopically, just 3 very small incisions. Sounds like you may not have been so fortunate. Rest up and feel better! On the bright side, now you don't have to worry about your appendix going south on you for the rest of your life. 
wink_face.gif

you mean laparoscopically? 
tongue.gif
  or did they really pull it out of your arse?  or pie-hole?

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I had to have an emergency appendectomy (already ruptured) during my freshman year in highschool.  Good thing was that it happened during a long break so I didn't miss any classes.  Bad thing was that it was during Christmas (yay).  Also, because it was an emergency operation, they just cut straight down my belly to look around because the CT scan was inconclusive...  so now I have a rather large scar on my belly.   lost so much muscle mass.  One piece of advice is to try and keep your muscles toned now, but dont strain yourself.  Just be aware that being in bed for 1-2 weeks can really atrophy your muscles.  Also, rubbing some cocoa butter will help heal the scar :).  Best of luck man.

how long ago was this?  they didn't do conservative treatment with interval appendectomy 8-12 weeks later?

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 13
I had an emergency removal of my appendix 8 years ago. If all goes well you'll already feel a lot better in a couple of days. And just like you reminded us that even though we may have a bad day, yours is probably worse, there are a lot of people in your hospital right now who wished they only had an inflamed/ruptured appendix. Hope you feel better soon!

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 13
 I had an appendectomy when I was about 10 years old. It began as the normal awful stomach pain one morning and by the end of the day I was in surgery. The really bad part was that I got a nasty intestinal infection and was in the hospital for 8 days.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Had mine removed 2 weeks ago. The pain will go away. Mine was initially diagnosed in the hospital as gastroenteritis, but that was a misdiagnosis thanks to the fact my appendix had burrowed itself in a layer of fat (which, coincidentally, helped keep it from rupturing during the delayed diagnosis). I had an open operation, no laparoscopic surgery. My scar is around 8cm (~3inches) long. I had quite some pain the first few days after the surgery. As pain management, I took 6 paracetamol a day for a week until I felt I didn't need it any more. Now it's been two weeks since the operation and the pain is almost completely gone. Good luck with your recovery!

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
how long ago was this?  they didn't do conservative treatment with interval appendectomy 8-12 weeks later?

It would be 5 years this Christmas.  I was given antibiotics for about 4 or 6 weeks after surgery, but that's about it.  I had the staples removed a few weeks afterwords and that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back